New Hard Drive for a Presario 4824

Hey, Tom,
Thanks for the reply. I find it odd, though, that the drive was pulled
from an even older Presario 4712, where it worked fine. (I should have
mentioned that it is partitioned into 5G partitions. Would that make a
difference?) Setting it to cable select is no big deal, I've just
always preferred to hardwire the master/slave relationship with
jumpers.
Looks like the easiest thing to do is to head to CompUsa or Best Buy
for a controller card. I did find a place online that would sell me a
BIOS upgrade, for $70.00, but I didn't think that that was any bargain.

--
PhoneMatt

A BIOS upgrade is no bargain at $70 when an IDE controller card with its own
BIOS gets the same job done at $30 or less. The only real difference is that
the card uses a PCI slot... Ben Myers

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:17:30 +0100, PhoneMatt
<PhoneMatt.1o2cjo@news.computerbanter.com> wrote:

>Hey, Tom,
>Thanks for the reply. I find it odd, though, that the drive was pulled
>from an even older Presario 4712, where it worked fine. (I should have
>mentioned that it is partitioned into 5G partitions. Would that make a
>difference?) Setting it to cable select is no big deal, I've just
>always preferred to hardwire the master/slave relationship with
>jumpers.
>Looks like the easiest thing to do is to head to CompUsa or Best Buy
>for a controller card. I did find a place online that would sell me a
>BIOS upgrade, for $70.00, but I didn't think that that was any bargain.
>

>--
>PhoneMatt

The max blast software will also get the job done I think :

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=%2Fen_us%2FSupport%2FSoftware%20Downloads%2FATA%20Hard%20Drives&downloadID=57

It's free if you have a maxtor drive and I've not tested on your model but
if worked for me on others.

> A BIOS upgrade is no bargain at $70 when an IDE controller card with its
own
> BIOS gets the same job done at $30 or less. The only real difference is
that
> the card uses a PCI slot... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:17:30 +0100, PhoneMatt
> <PhoneMatt.1o2cjo@news.computerbanter.com> wrote:
>

> >Hey, Tom,
> >Thanks for the reply. I find it odd, though, that the drive was pulled
> >from an even older Presario 4712, where it worked fine. (I should have
> >mentioned that it is partitioned into 5G partitions. Would that make a
> >difference?) Setting it to cable select is no big deal, I've just
> >always preferred to hardwire the master/slave relationship with
> >jumpers.
> >Looks like the easiest thing to do is to head to CompUsa or Best Buy
> >for a controller card. I did find a place online that would sell me a
> >BIOS upgrade, for $70.00, but I didn't think that that was any bargain.
> >

> >--
> >PhoneMatt

The card maybe a better option if it and the drive support a faster transfer
speed.

The other and more important reason for having a card instead of MaxBlast or
similar is that if you ever ever have a problem and need to recover data and/or
reinstall Windows, the process is complicated and uncertain. I had a client's
Gateway box in here recently, and the software was pretty well hosed up. It
took me several hours to get the data back from his hard drive onto another one
set up without drive overlay software, and he is still complaining about
software not working right.

As far as I am concerned, MaxBlast, WD's or Seagate's similar software are to be
avoided if at all possible. I have stated this for years, and my recent
experience vindicates what I've said... Ben Myers