New Hard Drive for a Presario 4824

I am adding a 20G Maxtor drive to a 4824 (rev A). I have installed it,
the bios recognizes it, but the machine won't boot. (It is booting from
the original hard drive. The machine gives the Compaq splash screen,
then says "OS Loading", then hangs.) The old drive is set as the
master, the new drive as slave. I called Maxtor and was told that the
BIOS had to be upgraded. I called Compaq and was told that they had no
idea where I could get the Rompaq with the upgrade for this BIOS. Does
anyone have any idea of where I can find the elusive BIOS upgrade
Rompaq for this machine?

Thanks,

Matt

--
PhoneMatt

Problem 1 -- Master/Slave

Compaqs use Cable Select. Set both drives to Cable select and put the drive
from which you wish to boot at the end of the cable

Possible Problem 2 -- 20G

Are you sure the 4824 supports a drive over 8GB?

Tom
"PhoneMatt" <PhoneMatt.1o0yjp@news.computerbanter.com> wrote in message

> I am adding a 20G Maxtor drive to a 4824 (rev A). I have installed it,
> the bios recognizes it, but the machine won't boot. (It is booting from
> the original hard drive. The machine gives the Compaq splash screen,
> then says "OS Loading", then hangs.) The old drive is set as the
> master, the new drive as slave. I called Maxtor and was told that the
> BIOS had to be upgraded. I called Compaq and was told that they had no
> idea where I could get the Rompaq with the upgrade for this BIOS. Does
> anyone have any idea of where I can find the elusive BIOS upgrade
> Rompaq for this machine?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt
>

> --
> PhoneMatt

hh

Nope. I had a 4824. 8GB limit strictly enforced in BIOS. Time for a PCI IDE
controller card.
HH