New hard drive has windows 10 (SSD). Old Hard drive (D: ) used on a windows 7 platform. Can I just plug and play it?

May 3, 2018
Hey guys, hoping someone will answer. I am building a new rig and I will put my OS in an SSD.
I will use my previous 1tb HDD that came from my old rig and it serves as my D: drive. (my OS is in C: )
My question is, can I just plug and play it without deleting anything on the drive?There's a bunch of anime and some games in there and I don't have an external drive to copy my files.

Arigathanks :)

Solution

- Your games likely won’t work. They need to be reinstalled.
- There will be a lot of folder security issues you have to resolve by changing ownership and permissions.
- There will be a lot of old system files taking up space. Some are difficult to delete. Due to permissions. Many are hidden.
- Get an external hard drive. Hard Drives...

SugarPsycho

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
As long as when you boot the system its set to load the C: drive it should be fine, however, I would recommend reformatting the drive after you get whats off of it as the old windows files tend to be difficult to remove clutter.

- Your games likely won’t work. They need to be reinstalled.
- There will be a lot of folder security issues you have to resolve by changing ownership and permissions.
- There will be a lot of old system files taking up space. Some are difficult to delete. Due to permissions. Many are hidden.
- Get an external hard drive. Hard Drives and SSD fail. Often it is sudden and catastrophic. If you care about your data. Make a backup.

Solution
May 3, 2018

Thanks mate