Question New hard drive is insanely slow

Doutor

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
So a few days back my desktop arrived. I bought all the components but chose to have it built by the retailer's engineers.
After installing the drivers, my hdd wasn't showing up. I went to disk management and "installed" it through there. But after 5 min I noticed that everything I was trying to download on to the HDD was either taking a real long time or it was simply stuck downloading. So I went to UserBenchmark and downloaded the tool to benchmark all of my hardware. When the results came in, everything was running perfectly, except for the HDD which had incredibly bad speeds, as you can see on the image on this link: View: https://imgur.com/a/pJ0s04f
I've checked to see if it was well connected or not and everything seems fine. Any one know what might be the problem?

Reactions: anupaDj
Jul 18, 2020
use mini tool partition wizard & fully format hard drive

The following tips can help in boosting the speed of your hard drive.
  1. Scan and clean your hard disk on a regular basis.
  2. Defragment your hard disk from time to time.
  3. Reinstall your Windows Operating System after every few months.
  4. Disable the hibernation feature.
  5. Convert your hard drives to NTFS from FAT32.

Doutor

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
use mini tool partition wizard & fully format hard drive

The following tips can help in boosting the speed of your hard drive.
  1. Scan and clean your hard disk on a regular basis.
  2. Defragment your hard disk from time to time.
  3. Reinstall your Windows Operating System after every few months.
  4. Disable the hibernation feature.
  5. Convert your hard drives to NTFS from FAT32.

So I installed the tool this is what shows up: View: https://imgur.com/a/7ZA1CkL

How would I go about formating it here?

So a few days back my desktop arrived. I bought all the components but chose to have it built by the retailer's engineers.
After installing the drivers, my hdd wasn't showing up. I went to disk management and "installed" it through there. But after 5 min I noticed that everything I was trying to download on to the HDD was either taking a real long time or it was simply stuck downloading. So I went to UserBenchmark and downloaded the tool to benchmark all of my hardware. When the results came in, everything was running perfectly, except for the HDD which had incredibly bad speeds, as you can see on the image on this link: View: https://imgur.com/a/pJ0s04f
I've checked to see if it was well connected or not and everything seems fine. Any one know what might be the problem?
Try reseat/change port SATA first, bad connection make HDD doesn't work properly.

Doutor

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
I had a SATA cable go bad once, it still sort of worked so I didn't immediately think of it as the cause

Try reseat/change port SATA first, bad connection make HDD doesn't work properly.

I've changed the port and now the HDD currectly shows up on windows, though the speed is still the same. Unfortunatly I don't have my SATA cables with me but I'll try to change it to another onde.

Doutor

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
Last edited:

Doutor

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
33K relocated sectors - on a new drive! Return it.

It most likely has been mishandled. Dropped or something..

Also - that appears to be SMR drive.

Thanks for the response! I'll see if I can return it, don't know if I can switch to a new one that is CMR though :(( Didn't notice at the time.