New Hard Drive on BIOS, but not in Win 8 “This PC”

budparker

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
Toshiba Satellite PP875-S7102 Laptop, Intel Quad Core I7 2.4GHz, 8GB Ram.

A little history: The factory hard drive finally bit the dust. It had a physical dilemma that mandated its replacement. Oh, crap. There goes all that data. . . The Toshiba Laptop has two internal drive ports, 2.5”. I bought two drives. An SSD SanDisk for the operating system and so forth, and a 1T WD 2.5” internal drive. I installed both and finally got Windows 8.1 installed on this beast.

After finally getting the laptop running I could see both drives in the BIOS. One in Slot One and the other in Slot Two. However, after about 150ish updates to Windows I noticed that I could “see” the SSD drive, but not the WD 1T drive in “My PC.”

My question; what can I do to rectify this dilemma? It would be wonderful to be able to install all my applications to this huge internal drive.

Let me say a big “Thank You” up front for bothering to help this lost soul navigating through Hardware Land…

budparker

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009

"Initialize Disk"
"Offline"
"Properties"
& "Help"

USAFRet

Titan

Initialize is what you want.
After that, Format, and give it a drive letter.

budparker

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009

I initialized. Now, do I "Convert to Dynamic Disk" or "Convert to MBR Disk?"

USAFRet

Titan

"Convert to MBR Disk"
This

budparker

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009

You mentioned giving it a drive letter. . . "Right Click" has no function for that. Now it has,
Convert to Dynamic Disk
Convert to GPT Disk
Properties

By the way, thanks for the help...

budparker

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009

It cautions that if I convert to Dynamic Disk I will Not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on that disk. Am I sure I want to continue? [I think it is OK, but thought I had better ask...]

budparker

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009

Ok, I did. Two things now;

1. How do I Name the drive other than drive 0, and
2. Do I need to reboot in order to see the drive listed on "My Computer?"