New Hard Drive with Old Motherboard. Doesn't Recognize.

Hailmerry7

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
So, I want to build a beginner hosting computer. I am using an older motherboard with IDE and Sata connections on it. I went and bought a 500GB WD Hard Drive and I installed Windows 7 Ultimate on it through another computer. I use a Power Adapter from Molex to Sata to obtain power to my hard drive and I have a sata connector that goes straight onto the motherboard in SATA 1 (There is no Sata 0). I decided not to connect the IDE CD Rom because I wont need to use it, however I have set my boot options to HDD-0/HDD-1/HDD-2 and it still does not recognize my Windows 7 Hard Drive and says, "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER".

All of my connections are stable from my motherboard to hard drive and the bios has OnChip SATA enabled.

I don't know what else to do, so I am asking sincerely for help please!

Motherboard: ECS KM400-M2 (3.0) 462(A) VIA KM400 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135193

Solution

As said way up there:

Install media
New drive, and only new drive connected, in the actual target PC
Boot from the install media and install on the target drive and system

Moving drives between PCs often does not work.

Hailmerry7

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014

So, how would I go about that? Installing Windows 7 with an IDE hard drive? Because even with the old hard drive attached, I insert Windows 7 System disk and I still get a Disk Failure, please insert system disk.

Hailmerry7

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014

The new drive with Windows 7 already on it is SATA. The old drive has nothing on it, and it is 250GB WD IDE. So the old driver (IDE) needs to be the master, and the CD Rom needs to be the salve? In the BIOS i make the primary the old drive (IDE) and I make the initial boot from CD Rom?

Hailmerry7

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014

What if it still says Disk Boot Failure when I have the system disk in the CD Rom?

USAFRet

Titan

Is it actually trying to boot from the DVD? Are you 100% sure?
Just for a test, disconnect ALL hard drives, leaving ONLY the DVD connected. Power up and see what it tells you.
This is only a test.

Hailmerry7

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014

Update:
Verifying DMI Pool Data.......
Boot from CD :
Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter.

Could it be that my drive cannot read DVDs? It is an old drive...

USAFRet

Titan

Either your DVD drive is bad, or the DVD is bad.
Does that drive work with any other DVD's?

Hailmerry7

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014

I just used both DVD's this week and they were both fine. The drive can't read them, or my BIOS is screwed up, but the CD-ROM is set as a boot option.

USAFRet

Titan

Buying a new motherboard and CPU has nothing to do with a bad/old CD drive.
If it is CD-ROM only.....that IS the issue. $15 for a new DVD drive might fix the problem.

Hailmerry7

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014

So, if I buy a new DVD ROM drive, I can then install to my new driver that is SATA and not IDE?

USAFRet

Titan

As said way up there:

Install media
New drive, and only new drive connected, in the actual target PC
Boot from the install media and install on the target drive and system

Moving drives between PCs often does not work.

Solution

Hailmerry7

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014

Thank you for your help, I will try this and I am betting it will work. If not, I will send you a message! Thank You!

Yes, initial boot should be CDROM. You can't use the copy on the SATA drive, it wont boot. Using IDE and SATA together is often not pleasant, just FYI. I'd ditch the IDE drive and just use the SATA. It's significantly faster.

TRENDING THREADS