JaredAudiophileGamer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I currently have a seagate barracuda with windows xp home installed, which has been acting awfully flakey when executing programs and such but has zero problems storing media, so i bought a western digital caviar black 640 sata hard drive in hopes to install a copy of the windows 7 via iso, but ive installed the new caviar into my sata 1 slot and my old barracuda in slot 0 and boot windows regularly as usual but cannot format my new drive for some reason, i tried to format it so i could install it but it says half way through format that it cannot complete, any ideas,? im sure im just a retard and have no clue how to load the drivers for the new drive, so instructions to do so would be great.

verrul

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
contact your seller for an rma this is a bad harddrive if it wont complete a format. Harddrives come shipped with an iso format ie fat 32 format in place already. you have a bad drive send it back. I worked at seagate for 10 years trust me on this

JaredAudiophileGamer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

ahhh that irks me supremely, not only did i wait 3 days longer then i should have for ups to deliver it, but i rely on this current computer to do my schoolwork and my current harddrive is ever failing, giving me bsods out the butt, yep ive tried about everything i can at this point, thanks for your help man =\
and something that had originaly struck me as odd is when i first installed it and booted up, it wasnt even recognized, just kept showing disk c, even though it showed perfectly fine in the bios and under cpu hard ware monitor, also it says its drive size is 814 gb but it is really 640 gb

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
FIRST things first,always create the primary partition on a new hdd with fdisk from dos set it as active,reboot ,then do whatever to the extended partition and logical drives,,,BECAUSE FDISK examines the whole hdd,and that info is entered into the hdd [bad] [ all hdd's have some bad tracks],, track map..:)