New Hard Drive?

BowserJr395

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
I am thinking of getting a new hard drive, to run alongside my current one. My current HDD is a Seagate Barracuda 500GB, but I was thinking about getting a new Western Digital 1TB Blue HDD. I was wondering whether it would be possible to have two different HDDs running together, but not necessarily in a RAID configuration. But, however, how would I move certain data (games, programs, etc.) to my new drive? And also would I need to change the shortcuts to go to different directories? I'm just worried that if I get a new HDD and I try to move certain items, things will go horribly wrong.
Please help!
Thanks!

Solution
You can't just move programs to another drive letter, almost all will stop working.

If you want to replace the old Seagate, clone it onto the new drive. The Seagate will make a good backup drive if you don't have one.
Hi there BowserJr,

As long as you have a SATA port for the additional HDD, it would be possible to have two different HDDs running together(no matter the brand, size, RPMs, etc). Just your old one will be the primary drive while the new one will be your secondary.
When talking about RAID though, it is highly recommended for the drives to be the same capacity(even brand).
Regarding your second question, I would say that the best thing you can do is just uninstall the games and programs that you need to move and install them on the new drive. In this way you can avoid some complications.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD