New hard drive

G

I just bought a new 60G/7200rpm/ATA133 hard drive to replace my (one year) old 10G/7200rpm/ATA100 hard drive. There's nothing wrong with the old drive. Everything's fine. I just need a bigger (and faster) storage. How can I move the operating systems, programs, and all my settings/preferences to the new drive? I just wanna use 1 (new) drive instead having both of them as Master-Slave. What about the interface differences? Do I need to get a new controller card to maximize the new drive capability? I have no clue whatsoever about the BIOS, either. I don't even know what kind of BIOS that I have in my computer.
My computer specs: P3/800MHz/384MB RAM/32MB GeForce GTS/Millenium.
Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You should look at getting Norton Ghost or Drive Image. Those two are very good imaging utilities. Also depending on the mfg. of the drive, Maxtor usually offers a low end copy utility within the Maxblast software that comes with the drive. So you can check out any of those programs.

With the interface you probably won't see a difference in speed from ATA66/ATA100 to ATA133. You will probably get higher burst transfers but won't see any more in sustained transfers. So what you have should be sufficient.

<font color=red>1GHz AMD x MSI K7T-Turbo x 512MB PC133 x 2-Maxtor 30GB/RAID 0 = Stream Line Butterfly</font color=red>

G

Thanks Lars_Coleman for the reply. stupid question: how do I copy old drive to the new one?

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
I assume you have a Maxtor HD. Go to the Maxtor web site <A HREF="http://www.maxtor.com" target="_new">http://www.maxtor.com</A> and download MaxBlast Plus. Find it under Product Support, Software and Utilities. Install the HD and boot from the MaxBlast Plus floppy. There will be an option to copy your old HD to the new HD.

"If it weren't for the last minute, alot of things wouldn't get done"