New harddrive and Fraps problem

ReMaKc

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Alright ive been thinking to buy a new harddrive since my current one is pretty slow its the Western Digital Caviar® GreenPower™ 1TB.

First here is my comuter :

Nvidia evga gtx 480 superclocked
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4 ghz quad core
Windows 7 64 bit
Corsair TX 750W PSU
Western Digital Caviar® GreenPower? 1TB
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe, Socket-AM3
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL9

Cabinet : Antec Nine Hundred Midi Tower Sort

But i have a real problem with fraps cause i get very nice performance in games and get 60 fps in most games but when i try to record with fraps then it freezes alot and fps goes 1-17 but sometimes i get high fps with recording but it still freezes alot.

I tried to email fraps and explain my problem and he said it might be my harddrives slow speed since i had a "green" harddrive thats designed to have less power for less power consume.

But i also tried to record with a external harddrive with fraps and with it i did get alot less freezes and 17-20 fps so i think my harddrive might be the problem. So im wondering if fraps recvording might be better if i buy a WD VelociRaptor® 300GB SATA with 10000 RPM ? Because the fraps guy recommended a harddrive for fraps with 7400 RPM +

I wanna full hd and still have smooth recording with fraps and do you guys think it will be better if i buy that harddisc ?

And installing a new harddrive is it very complicated ?

Drakoes

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
"Green" hard drives tend to have slower RPM speeds for less power consumption, such as 5400 instead of the traditional 7200 (although not all of them are like this) but that should still not be the case. As long as you don't record the footage on the same hard drive, it shouldn't be that bad.

You should play around with the settings on Fraps, do you have it set to record in full screen? It is a huge hit in performance if you are, so try setting it to record in half screen. Also, you might want to record it at 30-35 FPS.

A VelociRaptor will help by writing data faster, but they're still rather expensive and there's some better alternatives in my opinion. If you really want to upgrade your hard drive, than I would suggest a SSD - they have next to no latency, consume very little power, along with really fast read and write speeds, depending on which one. Check this one out from OCZ: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227550

Installing a new hard drive is easy - they all use a SATA connection and drivers for installation are not needed. It's mostly a case of plug and play and making sure that it is properly connected if you're not planning on installing your OS on the new hard drive.

I hope this helped :)

ReMaKc

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Thanks for a nice reply and it was useful info :)
So if i buy the raptor its like i can plug it in properly and then it should work ?
I also tried lowest grpahics settings and that dont seem to work i still get freezes also tried different settings with fraps wut with the external harddrive it seems to have less freezes but still very low fps.

Also is there anything special i should know before buying harddrive ? like do i need any special cables or connector or anything or you think i would be fine ?

Also is it better for the recording if i use the raptor for secondary harddrive and then i just store the videos inside it or is it best if i make it the main harddrive on OS. Because i heard its very nice to have a fast HD for your OS but will it also be fine with fraps recording if i make the raptor for my OS ? Because im fine with reinstalling windows and such if i have to do that if it makes my recording + pc better :)

I appreciate the help :D

TRENDING THREADS