New HD & winME

StAAlker

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2001
i just installed a new hard drive and i want to install windows onto it before i remove the old drive as i have tons of stuff i want to transfer before i reformat it.
old drive = 6.4gb 2.0 primary + 4.4 logical
new drive = 46.1gb 3.6gb primary + 5 x 8.5gb logical
old drive was master at C:\ & D:\ & is now slave C:\ & E:\ as u would guess and of course new drive is master at D:\ & F:\ thru J:\ when i run winME setup it seems to be trying to install to the C:\ drive (i dont want that) so i exited it. i played around with the bios setup but didnt like the results so i stopped. what i want to do is install a fresh winME on the primary partition of the new drive then transfer what i want from old drive to new then reformat old drive w/o partitions then have winME boot off new drive at C:\ n have old drive letter moved to after the last partition of new drive. then in the future install a second OS on a seperate partition for family & guests to use (too many nephews like poking around where they dont belong & i hate to say no to them)
any help would be apreciated

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Windows gives priority to physical drive first, then the logical. If you have C, D on drive1 and C, D on drive2 when you boot into windows, it will be in order of
drive1 - C - c
drive2 - D - c
drive1 - E - d
drive2 - F - d
If that helps... but as far as yer question goes, remove the old drive, install windows onto the new one, add the old drive, copy and format whatever you want after it boots.
I usually name partitions by the drive name and the latter of the logical drive. That way when I boot into the windows I know what is what.

Good luck...

K7 + KT7A + MX300 + VooDoo3000 = :smile:
P3 + CUSL2-C + MX300 + Asus7700 = :smile:

StAAlker

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2001
thanks for the reply
I got my OS on both drives on my own and i unpartition the old drive. now i need to know how i can choose which one i want to boot at startup (ive been doing it thru BIOS). So when i boot off the new drive the old drive is D:\ and the partitions are E:\ - I:\ but when i boot off old drive the few programs i have are now on C:\ n the shortcuts dont work (i only have a few apps left on it but there the ones i cant get or dont have passwords to anymore) so i guess what id like to know is there a way to choose which drive i want to boot AND make the 2 boot drives NOT keep switching drive letters?
again thanks in advance