New HDD internal I/O error. RMA?

xionmee

Reputable
May 20, 2014
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB

New HDD just came in today and I tried installing it. Windows booting up took a long long time to load. 5 minutes+ maybe even 10minutes? I have an 120 GB SSD as my primary drive so normally it's several seconds (Computer is also 3 days old, and my first build)

New secondary HDD wasn't recognized automatically. Disk Management took few minutes to load. Initialize disk popped up (MBR selected) and pressed OK. Then I/O device error popped up a few moments later.

Installed SeaTools from seagate and opened it up. Took about 10 minutes or so to "ATA: Scan for supported drives," and after that no 1tb HDD showed up. Only my 120 GB SSD.

Oh restarted my computer to enter BIOS and noticed HDD making skipping/scratching noise on start up. Does not show up in UEFI m5a97 mobo bios.

Removed HDD and boot time returned to normal!

Could it have been my fault, it felt a little rough trying to slide it into my 3.5" bay. Had to wiggle it and be a bit rough with lots of friction on the sides. Using a NZXT source 210 case. I don't know, are hard drives this fragile? Or is it just bad HDD to begin with.

Time for RMA I guess? Or is there anything else that is worth trying.

Solution
RMA the drive. I have gotten a few with exactly the same symptoms. BOA -- bad on arrival. It happens. Got a WD Black edition recently with the same problems and same noises. Just RMA the drive back to where you purchased it from.

xionmee

Reputable
May 20, 2014
Yup, I've swapped Sata ports, plugged it into it's separate power cable (I have modular PSU), booted multiple times or so to BIOS with different SATA port etc. and combinations of each. Even one of the SATA cable is L-shaped, not that that matters anyway. Bios never recognized HDD. I think I'll just have to RMA.

trekzone

Honorable
Mar 31, 2014

Worth for an RMA.