[SOLVED] New HDD not booting after installing linux on a different pc

Jan 7, 2020
Hi! I recently purchased a new 4TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, I bought because I was running low on storage on my home server, The home server is a ThinkCentre M91p, in an auction last year and it came with a 250GB HDD, after the new hard drive arrived in the mail, I plugged it into my main PC, removed my main drives, and installed Linux on it.

After that, I plugged in the old hard drive into my main PC to transfer files onto it as the M91p didn't have enough room for 2 hard drives in the machine, and my PC was just faster. After copying everything that I needed over, I plugged the new hard drive into the server and It wasn't booting, but it was detecting the hard drive in the BIOS. I plugged the hard drive back into my main PC, and it booted, Then I tried to see if the old hard drive would boot in the server and it did! I tried swapping the cables and that didn't work either.
If anyone had any ideas, please help!

Solution
Welcome to the forums!

See if your prebuilt system has any BIOS updates pending. Can you remain in BIOS indefinitely? Given how this is a auctioned build, it's possible that the PSU might be faulty or failing. You might want to take a picture of what you see on the stickered side of the PSU.

Can you try remove the CMOS battery for at least 15 minutes prior to replacing it? See if tat changes your experience.
Thanks for the reply!
I've literally just solved my issue, I booted into my USB drive with the Ubuntu install media and I recreated my boot partition and that seemed to solve my issue. I'm guessing when I installed it on my main machine, It configured the boot drive to be based on my system specifications and since the...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums!

See if your prebuilt system has any BIOS updates pending. Can you remain in BIOS indefinitely? Given how this is a auctioned build, it's possible that the PSU might be faulty or failing. You might want to take a picture of what you see on the stickered side of the PSU.

Can you try remove the CMOS battery for at least 15 minutes prior to replacing it? See if tat changes your experience.

Jan 7, 2020
Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for the reply!
I've literally just solved my issue, I booted into my USB drive with the Ubuntu install media and I recreated my boot partition and that seemed to solve my issue. I'm guessing when I installed it on my main machine, It configured the boot drive to be based on my system specifications and since the pre-built is older, it didn't know how to boot into it or something along those lines.
Thanks for the help anyway!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS