Question New HDD not initialized, but that's not all

srlake314

Honorable
Apr 18, 2015
Good day TH'ers.

Just to not waste anyone's time, I wanted to say, I have seen this as a huge and rather common issue from what I've seen in my researching...However, all of the "answers/fixes", do not work in my case.

First off here's the usual thing, my specs:

All brand new fyi:
  1. Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi board.
  2. AMD Ryzen 9 3900
  3. G SKill Trident rgb 32gb
  4. Thermaltake 1250 W RGB power supply
  5. Corsair MP600 m.2 gen 4 pcie
  6. Samsung 970 EVO nvme m.2
  7. XFX Radeon 5700 XT
  8. Coolmaster case
Now the new harddrive and old hdd( the old one doesn't ever show, so not sure what's going on there)

I now just have the brand new WD Black edition 4Tb harddrive sata attached.

Trouble? The usual it never, ever, ever shows up in the MB sata listing.full specs

When it does show up in Window's Disk Mgmt, it shows with the typical not initialized. SO no problem right? Just Initialize it? NOPE, when I do, I get several different errors.
The first, I get the error that I'm trying to do something to something that doesn't exist....the drive disappears.
The other is, an I/O error.

Now troubleshooting:
I moved the SATA cable to ALL of the various SATA ports on the MB. A good deal of the time, neither drive shows up even though they're "turned on" in the UEFI, which again, they NEVER show the HDD, they do show the ssds though and windows is installed on one of them, so obviously those are running fine.(Attached to the m.2 ports).

I've also gone into CMD DISKPART utility, and was able to perform the CLEAN command with no issues, however, when I went to create a partition, the drive disappeared. I've run out of Troubleshooting ideas.

Anyone else familiar with anything beyond the initialize fix?