New hdd not updated after image restore

anish255

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hello,

I recently got a new hard drive (Seagate Mometus XT 500GB) to replace the old one (320GB) i had for my laptop. I had created an image backup using Windows 7. I restored the image to my new hard drive using my recovery CD to the new hard drive and everything was working just fine. Windows loaded up quicker and it was faster than before. Now when i open up My Computer and go to properties of the new hard drive, the capacity comes up as 287, which is my old one. It seems Windows does not detect the new hard drive.

Can anyone help?

anish255

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
how would i do that? Also I have a feeling that Windows is not detecting the Momentus XT as the new drive. I went over to device manager to scan for hardware changes and it says cannot find the driver

Start -> right click on "Computer" and select "Manage"

Click "Disk Management" in the left pane.

In the LOWER part of the middle pane you'll see partition maps for all your drives. I'm guessing that you'll see some free space on the drive that you restored Windows to. If you right-click on the partition that holds the operating system you should be able to choose the "Extend" option to extend the partition into the free space on the drive.

anish255

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
i tried that but the " extend volume" option is grayed out.

OK - I've never had to extend a volume myself (I always just reinstall if I'm switching drives) so I don't know if there's a restriction against extending the OS volume. If there is, there may still be a third-party utility that will do it, but that's beyond the scope of my knowledge.