New HDD wont let windows 7 install.

grenade_girl

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Hello. I'm new to the forum and a big noob at computers (but I'm getting some outside help). I co built my gateway. Well upgraded it. Anyway, I got a new HDD (WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache - WD10EZEX) and installed it. I tried installing windows 7 (computer previously had Vista) and it just wont install. Here are some of the new hard ware I bought for the computer.

Processor:
AMD Athlon II X3 450 95W Processor (ADX450WFGMBOX)

Ram:
Kingston KHX1600C9D3P1K2/8G HyperX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB 240-pin DDR3 1600mhz non-ECC desktop memory module

Motherboard:
MSI Computer Corp. AMD 760G Micro ATX DDR3 1333 AM3+ Motherboards 760GM-E51 (FX)

If anyone can help me in anyway I'd sure appreciate it. Thank so much.

Solution
OK, give us some details as to what your system consists of. What's the brand and model number? Laptop? I've noticed with some laptops that don't come with an optical drive, that if I connect an external USB DVD drive to it then they take forever to boot, and I usually give up. I say that they take forever because once or twice I've waited about 15 minutes and it seemed to be slowly going through a POST (power on self test), but so painfully slow that I just quit. Not sure what causes it. Anyway, that's the kind of detail that would help.

grenade_girl

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Instead of the Windows 7 installation start up page popping up, the screen will just freeze and black out. So it wont even give me the option to try and install Win 7.

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
OK, give us some details as to what your system consists of. What's the brand and model number? Laptop? I've noticed with some laptops that don't come with an optical drive, that if I connect an external USB DVD drive to it then they take forever to boot, and I usually give up. I say that they take forever because once or twice I've waited about 15 minutes and it seemed to be slowly going through a POST (power on self test), but so painfully slow that I just quit. Not sure what causes it. Anyway, that's the kind of detail that would help.

Solution