Question New Headphones Advice. 500 USD BUdget

howercho

Commendable
Nov 19, 2017
Hi everyone
My headphones (ATH MSR7) literally just broke today and i'm in need to help picking new ones. I don't have an amp or anything just a PC to plug them into. I have a budget ot 500 or so USD. I don't enjoy flat signatures. I like my headphones to have a bit of umph. Bass is nice but don't need it to be overwhelming. I particularly enjoy listening to good music so a decent high end for vocals or instruments would be super appreciated too.

I have been advised to split my budget into a ~300 USD or so pair of headphone and invest in a good amp/dac. Having said that i've never actually owned one so i can't comment on the difference they can make. How much can an amp/dac really do for me?

I don't particularly have anything against either closed or open design. As long as they sound good for my taste.

With sound signatures in mind, i don't particularly have anything against planar sound either, it's just that i've never owned ant kind of enhancing hardware (amp/dac). Maybe that can help with bringing a good planar headphone more towards that V shape that i enjoy listening to....
I don't particularly know much about audio so i'm hoping somebody here can help me out.

I do game quite a bit so good imaging is kind of a must for me. A headSET is not needed as i already have a desktop mic.

I do live in EU. I forgot to mention that so some product suggestions might or might not be available to me.

Thanks to anyone who replies.

Hi everyone
My headphones (ATH MSR7) literally just broke today and i'm in need to help picking new ones. I don't have an amp or anything just a PC to plug them into. I have a budget ot 500 or so USD. I don't enjoy flat signatures. I like my headphones to have a bit of umph. Bass is nice but don't need it to be overwhelming. I particularly enjoy listening to good music so a decent high end for vocals or instruments would be super appreciated too.

I have been advised to split my budget into a ~300 USD or so pair of headphone and invest in a good amp/dac. Having said that i've never actually owned one so i can't comment on the difference they can make. How much can an amp/dac really do for me?

I don't particularly have anything against either closed or open design. As long as they sound good for my taste.

With sound signatures in mind, i don't particularly have anything against planar sound either, it's just that i've never owned ant kind of enhancing hardware (amp/dac). Maybe that can help with bringing a good planar headphone more towards that V shape that i enjoy listening to....
I don't particularly know much about audio so i'm hoping somebody here can help me out.

I do game quite a bit so good imaging is kind of a must for me. A headSET is not needed as i already have a desktop mic.

I do live in EU. I forgot to mention that so some product suggestions might or might not be available to me.

Thanks to anyone who replies.
I got the Steelseries 9X headset which has been great so far, comfy, good with music. You do need the Xbox One dongle though but because of that it instantly connects and you can have your PC and a Bluetooth device connected to your headphones at the same time. And they’re wireless.

If you’re going with a set of pure headphones you can get some sennheiser 650/660/6xx which are great open back headphones but not too sure on recommending a DAC+AMP.