[SOLVED] New HIgh-End Build

Atterus

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
Hello All!

So, I'm feeling that upgrade itch given most processors anymore make my 7700k look slow at least on multithread tasks, and I snagged a 3090 which the 7700k can't quite support to the fullest.

Now... I actually make use of the 3090 VRAM for AI applications, and more cores would help in the same tasks. But, that all said, it is certainly a strange time to upgrade given the shortages and whatnot (but I would benefit immediately workwise with a big upgrade). The removal of the bottleneck would also help with my gaming pastime. But, upgrading a CPU generally means total rebuild time (especially from a 1 off 7th gen system... fracking mistake that was...)!

I was originally planning on waiting for the 12th gen intel CPUs, but after making some headway on removing my reliance on the intel MKL for work, AMD is looking mighty fine by comparison value and performance-wise. I just wanted some advice on putting together a nutty build that would last for a solid 5 years like my last one did (and even potentially retain some resale value). This time, unlike last time... I don't want to jump on a platform on release since I still have to deal with issues from my first release 7th gen... fortunately there are some options it seems if going forward is wise at all.

So here is what I have so far:

Ryzen 5950x (or 5900x, seems like a value trade here)
ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (or just the Hero to save $50...)
2x32GB RAM 3600MHz
already owned EVGA 3090
10TB Western Digital Gold (I have a 4TB that is almost full and I've been happy with it... basically need a HDD to store stuff and not worry about it)
2TB Samsung 980 (because, again, I have two 1TB and a 500GB almost full... I need to delete stuff more... plan on reusing the 1TB, but a PCIe 4 M.2 would be nice for work)
Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB (360mm AIO water cooler, first time using a water cooled system, sounds like it is recommended for the hot plate though)
EVGA P2 850W PSU (if I go mad and need 2 3090's I'll just get a larger one)
Corsair 5000D airflow case (I've used the 4000D for a smaller work build and it turned out real nice)

I've kinda decided that waiting for DDR5 and PCIe 5 doesn't make much sense. The "clock" on my new build will be the CPU at this point since I already have a GPU I shouldn't need to touch for a good while. Said GPU is a PCIe 4, and I don't see DDR5 being useful for a few years. While I'm obviously willing to spend money, I'm not willing to spend it on truly useless features (yeah, the mobo is overkill, but I've cheaped out before and wished I hadn't years later). But, I keep hearing a number of different points on the AMD vs Intel and whether waiting on PCIe5/DDR5 is worth it... so thought or suggestions?

Solution
Makes sense not to fret over $50... but as odd as it sounds I don't want to spend $50 if it doesn't net me anything XD That said, I could use the extra features...

I had heard that the DDR5 wouldn't really be a thing for a while, good to have that confirmed. I haven't seen any issues on my current build PSU wise, but I suppose I could be right at the limit and that extra draw from the larger CPU (regardless of which one) could strain it. 100W it is. Thanks!

Yeah, waiting for DDR5 doesn't make a ton of sense. Think of it this way: it'll probably be like two years from now or so before DDR5's performance with newer platforms and reductions in price makes caring about it over DDR4 a good idea. And if you need a PC now, why...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Eh, you're spending enough that you can justify $100 more than you absolutely need to on a motherboard if there are features you like. When you're several grand in, it's hard to turn down the extra SATA and USB ports, post code, external CMOS clear button, etc.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello All!

So, I'm feeling that upgrade itch given most processors anymore make my 7700k look slow at least on multithread tasks, and I snagged a 3090 which the 7700k can't quite support to the fullest.

Now... I actually make use of the 3090 VRAM for AI applications, and more cores would help in the same tasks. But, that all said, it is certainly a strange time to upgrade given the shortages and whatnot (but I would benefit immediately workwise with a big upgrade). The removal of the bottleneck would also help with my gaming pastime. But, upgrading a CPU generally means total rebuild time (especially from a 1 off 7th gen system... fracking mistake that was...)!

I was originally planning on waiting for the 12th gen intel CPUs, but after making some headway on removing my reliance on the intel MKL for work, AMD is looking mighty fine by comparison value and performance-wise. I just wanted some advice on putting together a nutty build that would last for a solid 5 years like my last one did (and even potentially retain some resale value). This time, unlike last time... I don't want to jump on a platform on release since I still have to deal with issues from my first release 7th gen... fortunately there are some options it seems if going forward is wise at all.

So here is what I have so far:

Ryzen 5950x (or 5900x, seems like a value trade here)
ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (or just the Hero to save $50...)
2x32GB RAM 3600MHz
already owned EVGA 3090
10TB Western Digital Gold (I have a 4TB that is almost full and I've been happy with it... basically need a HDD to store stuff and not worry about it)
2TB Samsung 980 (because, again, I have two 1TB and a 500GB almost full... I need to delete stuff more... plan on reusing the 1TB, but a PCIe 4 M.2 would be nice for work)
Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB (360mm AIO water cooler, first time using a water cooled system, sounds like it is recommended for the hot plate though)
EVGA P2 850W PSU (if I go mad and need 2 3090's I'll just get a larger one)
Corsair 5000D airflow case (I've used the 4000D for a smaller work build and it turned out real nice)

I've kinda decided that waiting for DDR5 and PCIe 5 doesn't make much sense. The "clock" on my new build will be the CPU at this point since I already have a GPU I shouldn't need to touch for a good while. Said GPU is a PCIe 4, and I don't see DDR5 being useful for a few years. While I'm obviously willing to spend money, I'm not willing to spend it on truly useless features (yeah, the mobo is overkill, but I've cheaped out before and wished I hadn't years later). But, I keep hearing a number of different points on the AMD vs Intel and whether waiting on PCIe5/DDR5 is worth it... so thought or suggestions?
On the DDR5 it usually takes it about a year to even catch up to the current DDR4 this has been the same on DDR2, 3 and 4.

For the power supply I would probably get the RMx 1000 watt the 3090 has some wicked power spikes.

Atterus

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
Makes sense not to fret over $50... but as odd as it sounds I don't want to spend $50 if it doesn't net me anything XD That said, I could use the extra features...

I had heard that the DDR5 wouldn't really be a thing for a while, good to have that confirmed. I haven't seen any issues on my current build PSU wise, but I suppose I could be right at the limit and that extra draw from the larger CPU (regardless of which one) could strain it. 100W it is. Thanks!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Yeah, waiting for DDR5 doesn't make a ton of sense. Think of it this way: it'll probably be like two years from now or so before DDR5's performance with newer platforms and reductions in price makes caring about it over DDR4 a good idea. And if you need a PC now, why deprive yourself of fulfilling that need for two years? And if you don't need a PC for two years, then why think about buying one now at all? In the end, the question just becomes whether you need a new PC to do what you want to do or you don't. Worry about future technology only makes sense if it's really imminent. Like, you wouldn't want to be someone buying a GTX 770 the day before the embargo on GTX 970 reviews are lifted. But you're not in that position.

I think the best thing to do is look over the features of motherboards and consider which ones you want to have. Then buy the motherboard based on those needs. I could have very easily been fine with a less expensive motherboard. But in this case, some of the stuff was important to me (post code, external CMOS clear, and a billion USB ports) and I didn't really care about a small extra cost. But if I didn't care about those things, I would have gone with a TUF Gaming or a Steel Legend or something.

It's like buying a car or a house (though thankfully cheaper!). Pay for stuff you need. Don't pay for stuff you don't.

Solution