New High End Graphics Card Causing System To Be Loud?

cooljaken

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
So I just Bought a new graphics card, its a AMD Sapphire R9 380X Nitro, i bought the card along side a new PSU which is a EVGA 1000 Watt GQ (Plenty To Power the demands of my PC).

Since installing the card my system seems to be getting extremely loud due to the fans running fast, i cant tell which fan it is as it could be my GPU, CPU or Case fans tbh. They get to high speeds even when my PC isnt working super hard, iv run some super low intensity games like Terraria and Gang Beasts and they still do the same. To be clear my performane does not seem to be affected!

To try and find the cause of the problem iv been using a few monitoring softwares to view temps and fan speeds but if im honest none of it looks very worrying. During a period when the noise is high-

-My GPU fans are running at 50% somewhere around 1500 RPM, its running at 60-75 degrees celcius, and due to it being a typical AMD gpu the load fluctuates between 0 and 100% (its a common occurence with the model)
-My CPU is only running at a max of 60% load but the fan is running at around 5000 RPM, its at like 50 degrees tho.

For me these just dont seem to make sense?! The GPU temps are high-ish but the fans are running at only 50%. and the CPU has the opposite, Low-ish temps but the fan is running very high RPM.

Do u guys know what could be causing this? u guys have given me some good advice in the past so hope u can do it again this time.

My PC Specs

unknown MoBo
AMD FX-6300 Cpu (6cores)
AMD Sapphire R9 380x Nitro
EVGA 1000 Watt GQ
Standard CPU Cooler Fan ()
1 TB Harddrive

All Helpful comments appreciated.

Solution
GPUs run hotter than CPUs anyways. Also the default fan curve does not ramp the fans up when it is 70c. They're designed to go to 90C and work fine.

The CPU however is thermal limited to 62C core, set by AMD. That means the fan will go to higher rpm to accomadate the temps. That's why the stock fan is [bad]. It doesn't cool well and is loud. My fan spins at 750rpm AMD cools well because the cooler is good. Get a better cooler for silence.
GPU doesn't affect it.

Ryan_78

Honorable
GPUs run hotter than CPUs anyways. Also the default fan curve does not ramp the fans up when it is 70c. They're designed to go to 90C and work fine.

The CPU however is thermal limited to 62C core, set by AMD. That means the fan will go to higher rpm to accomadate the temps. That's why the stock fan is [bad]. It doesn't cool well and is loud. My fan spins at 750rpm AMD cools well because the cooler is good. Get a better cooler for silence.
GPU doesn't affect it.

Solution
1. The 380x ifs more of a mid level than hi end GFX card and thereore doesn not require a lot of power.

2. That PSU is way way bigger than necessary, a 500 watter would have been sufficient in most instances, tho Id prolly go with a 620-650
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_380x_4gb_review,4.html

3. Use Belarc Advisor to identify tour MoBo and other system specs

4. You can control fan speeds usually by utilities that come from the MoBo manufacturer. Once you identify the model, downlaod them fro manuf. web site.

5. Use MSi Afterburner to adjust GPU fan speeds.

6. We have 1000 watt G2 PSU and it is the loudest thing in the PC

7. Use the cardboard tube from an old paper towel roll, place one end on your ear and the other at each fan to identify noise sources

8. Avoid using profanity in forum posts.

cooljaken

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015

Extremley Helpful Answer Thanks <3 that puts my mind to rest, iv been thinking of buying awater cooler for the CPU anyways, probably the NZXT Kraken X61. Can i ask if this problem is going to affect my system negativley if i leave it? the noise concerns me but as long as its not doing any damage im fine with it XD. Also why has this problem only happend after i installed my new GPU?

The Kraken would be 4 times as loud and more expensive than a comparably performing air cooler

b2.jpg

Ryan_78

Honorable
yea under 50$:
Cryorig h7 (35)
Cryorig H5 (45)
212 evo (30)
Scythe Ninja thingy (45)
Deepcool Lucifer (40-60) the h5 is by far the best

more than 50$
dark rock pro (like 85)
Noctua NH d15 (90)
Noctu NH d14 (75)
nh 12us or something (65)
Cryorig R1 ultimate (89)

they are al good. I recommend the dark rock pro (bad installation issues tho ) r1, and NHd15 if you have the money

cooljaken

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015

Do u know why these high fan speeds have only started since my GPU and PSU were installed? and is it doing any damage to my system?

More heat in the box.

Scythe has many cooler offerings under $50 that are excellent performers

The Phanteks PH-TC14PE is prolly our most installed cooler ($65) .. tops the Noctua DH14 and Thermalright Silver Arrow with the quietest fans on the market.... and you can color match it to your PC (red, blue, black, white, orange models)

If ya want water, there is not a CLC that can match the performance of the best air coolers, but the Swiftech H240-X2 is probably the easiest to install and is tops in performance/ noise ratio.