Question NEW high-end PC short Freezing/stuttering in games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 14, 2022
ASUS TUF 3080
i7 12700k
Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS D4

I bought a new PC 6 months ago just before russia invaded Ukraine. I tested in for a few days and left my home. 1 week ago i received my new PC back and played games without any problems. I decided to reset Windows for security reasons because there were some programs from the sellers. After that, there are instant freeze/stuttering in the game every ~5-8seconds. Even sound is freezing so it is not related to the connection problems.
There was a problem with setting up cooler speed so i tried some programs that could help me to set it up.

What i did that could lead to this problem:
I tried Performance Tuning in Nvidia Experience and Asus Tweak. I reset it back
-i manually increased GPU and mem clock on 1-5%
-i changed RAM xmp profiles in bios (1,2,auto)
-i activated some Rapid technology in bios and PC won't launch so i turned it off again
-i activated "FAST" ai OC mode in ASUS BIOS

What i did to fix this:
-BIOS reset to default
-Clear Windows install so there was only browser, graphic drivers and the game
-Reinstalled the game
-Checked Temperatures and set coolers on max. Everything is below 70degree
-In Device Manager there is no devices without drivers
-Tested GPU in 3d Mark and FPS there was stable. In "hardware-easy" games there is no stuttering.

And it is still happening! I don't know what else i can do! My BIOS and system seem to be fully clean but this <Mod Edit> is still happening. PC is being working for about 2 week max from the day of purchase. Please help me to define this problem. I was really happy to get this PC with last generation of GPU/CPU but now i am super sad because there is a war and i cannot just send it to the seller for fix.

I recorded a video to demonstrate this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fau6hB5Ijf4

If my PC is clean and it is still happening then there is a hardware problem? I just want to find the problem and fix it.
Please help

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 14, 2022
Did you play with settings within the windows energy settings? Change to maximum performance if not on that already for instance.

Have seen some threads about a tool called "Throttlestop", can google that one and try it out if what you read might help you.

Since on windows 10 might that also stay a thing, windows 11 is more optimized for Intel 12 gen (and newer).
Max performance does not change parking cores settings. There is a need to change it in the register or via the command line. As I said, changing the minimal amount of cores to be unparked to 100 solved the issue but I don't think that I should be this way for all 12gen users to do something with powershell and use different tools (process lasso also helped and it actually lead me to understand the issue. I saw there on graph how much cores are parked currently and it creates special power plan when all of them are unparked). I don't want to use such kind of tools so I found how to solve this with command line.

The problem that I have now Is understanding why i have this issue at all? I don't think that every 12gen user should do this and that everyone have this kind of issues.
I have widescreen so i don't want to use win11 where i can not drag task panel to the side so a lot of my workspace is taken with no reason

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Don't be do hung up on UBM. It can show us some info about what parts you have in the pc or what bios you run and in general how the pc performs also for instance if ram runs at rated specs. It saying your cpu "Trottles" is of little meaning for me, if your cpu without overclocking does max turbo and you have no temp issues with that is it not throttling to me.

If in the windows energy settings your cpu is allowed to do 100% in it's max state is there little you can change too.