new home computer

steve3666

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
after about a 20 year leave of absents am getting back into computers. I was given an ASRock AM3 motherboard with 4 sticks of DDR3-1600, to start building my own computer. I am on a very limited budget (SSD), I know this is AMD, please tell me why almost everybody is hates them, the last computer I had was a commodore 64,Anything got to be better. Thank You

Solution
Welcome back to computers. Lol, it will definitely be an upgrade to your commodore 64. Not everyone hates amd. There's been an ongoing fan base battle debating amd/intel just like chevy/ford. In the past couple of years they've ran into development problems and have been working in other markets (mobile processing) and have fallen behind intel's high end systems. Then again many of us can't afford intel's high end anyway (not to mention it's overkill for most general use). Only heavy every day users are likely to notice a real difference in performance between intel and amd, people who do intensive video/photo/sound editing, graphic design, 3d or cad (engineering design) work. For gaming, web surfing, chatting, watching online videos etc amd is just fine.

You're probably not concerned with the technical details of it, but I'm on an older intel system and corcorand82's on a newer amd system and no doubt their pc is faster than mine. Chances are we're both running windows and if you didn't know who's machine was who's (what's under the hood) you wouldn't tell a difference from the desktop or sending emails and stuff.

corcorand82

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

amd and intel are both great, i prefer amd because I dp a bunch of heavily threaded work.

corcorand82

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

amd and intel are both great, i prefer amd because I dp a bunch of heavily threaded work.

Solution

Don't think anyone hates AMD, just right now the best perfomance comes from the Intel chips, although at a bit higher price.

The FX-6300 is a great budget CPU for any type of work, although the i5 and i7 chips will out-do them handilly but at almost at 2x the price.

For video cards, just about every price point has an AMD card as the recommended buy.

Users in the home pc market have become rather spoiled with technology. Any bickering about one brand vs the other aside, both offer excellent performance for a daily user (web surfing, occasional gaming, youtube videos etc). It's not like back in the day of 8086 processors. It doesn't take something elite or high end to play smooth full motion video in millions of colors, those have become the 'norm' for pc's. Where differences are seen are in the specific scenarios like editing work, playing the latest demanding games across 2-3 monitors etc.