Dec 11, 2020
Hi all, I was wondering if you can help with my new home setup after recently purchasing our house. If I can explain the setup firstly and what I intend to use and id be happy to hear your thoughts or what I should change. Ive looked into patch panelling but I may add this in a couple of years.

The sky router which is in the downstairs lounge im looking to connect via x2 cat6a patch cables into a module socket in the wall. Im looking to use x2 cat6a solid s-ftp cables to run into the loft then connectimg them to a module. A patch cable will then go into the NVR and the other into a Netgear GS108 switch (8 port). The NVR will have x2 external patch cables running to the outside security cameras (AWG-23). I will then have x6 cat6a patch cables running from the switch to the various computers, sky q, tv, etc in different rooms.

What are your thoughts on this setup?

When more devices need connecting I will look to change my switch to a 16-port or may then decide to do patch panel.

When adding an extra cat6a module in a bedroom wall can I use a patch cable to plug into a switch or do the module cabling need to be a direct connection to the router?

Before saying why cat6a, Im looking to future proof the setup in case more than 1gbs fibre is released.

What are you thoughts? I appreciate any feedback. Hopefully ive got it down to a 'T'.

Thanks.

Solution
If you're using ready-made cables, going cat6a will be fine and you can plug these directly into your switch/router.

However, if you plan to run bare cable and then terminate the cable, using a step down from 6a, like 6 or 5e will give you much more consistent results when terminating. I have read enough horror stories from experienced network installers about 6a that I have determined that it isn't for the novice or even the mildly experienced.

As far as a patch panel, if you are running bare cable, this would be the time to install a panel. Otherwise, you can simply plug direct with pre-terminated cables.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all, I was wondering if you can help with my new home setup after recently purchasing our house. If I can explain the setup firstly and what I intend to use and id be happy to hear your thoughts or what I should change. Ive looked into patch panelling but I may add this in a couple of years.

The sky router which is in the downstairs lounge im looking to connect via x2 cat6a patch cables into a module socket in the wall. Im looking to use x2 cat6a solid s-ftp cables to run into the loft then connectimg them to a module. A patch cable will then go into the NVR and the other into a Netgear GS108 switch (8 port). The NVR will have x2 external patch cables running to the outside security cameras (AWG-23). I will then have x6 cat6a patch cables running from the switch to the various computers, sky q, tv, etc in different rooms.

What are your thoughts on this setup?

When more devices need connecting I will look to change my switch to a 16-port or may then decide to do patch panel.

When adding an extra cat6a module in a bedroom wall can I use a patch cable to plug into a switch or do the module cabling need to be a direct connection to the router?

Before saying why cat6a, Im looking to future proof the setup in case more than 1gbs fibre is released.

What are you thoughts? I appreciate any feedback. Hopefully ive got it down to a 'T'.

Thanks.
That should be OK. You really don't buy any significant benefit from splitting the NVR from the switch.

Dec 11, 2020
That should be OK. You really don't buy any significant benefit from splitting the NVR from the switch.

Thanks kanewolf I was a but sceptible about plugging in my NON-POE switch into a POE port on the back of the NVR but reading further into it I found that the POE device will detect if the connected device is or isnt POE and then safe to connect a PS4 or PC into the switch without damaging.

Can you tell me if this is the correct approach? obviously it will save a few pennies from having to buy an extra long CAT6a cable.

Also, when making extra module sockets around the house I guess the best way will be to patch panel them however as per above am I correct to say that they will all connect to the switch... and feeding them through the cavity is best to use solid CAT6a cables rather then patch cables?

Thanks.

If you're using ready-made cables, going cat6a will be fine and you can plug these directly into your switch/router.

However, if you plan to run bare cable and then terminate the cable, using a step down from 6a, like 6 or 5e will give you much more consistent results when terminating. I have read enough horror stories from experienced network installers about 6a that I have determined that it isn't for the novice or even the mildly experienced.

As far as a patch panel, if you are running bare cable, this would be the time to install a panel. Otherwise, you can simply plug direct with pre-terminated cables.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS