Question NEW HP LAPTOP is complete garbage.

May 29, 2024
because of a housefire mentioned in 1st thread i got a new laptop.

its a new HP with ryzen 5 7520U series cpu and radeon graphics
it has 16GB ram and 1 Tb either ssd or nvme, cant remember now

anyways, windows 11 right out of the box was freezing and hard resetting.
I assumed it was just windows and didnt care cuz i was intent on installing linux

normally i install elementry Os with zero problems
BUT with some trouble , 3 tries later i managed to get Debian 12 working on my gaming desktop SO i wanted debian on this laptop too

TLDR, windows got completely borked and erased during debian install so i can longer reset it to factory or return for refund

AND it resets itself and freezes just as much if not more on elementry OS now[debian never did install at at all]

what can i do with this piece of junk"?

try reinstall windows and hope they dont know i did so when i return it?

or can it be fixed?

May 29, 2024
well a windows reinstall will have to wait until i get another computer running with all my banking info, passwords et logins blah blah up and running so i dont lose anything

May 29, 2024
well this crappy NEW laptop is supposed to replacce an old laptop kept alive andn useable by linux
i probly have most of these backed up on which i use while working out of town

also waiting on insurance to replace my desktop that was damaged in a housefire.
the desktop itself seems to broken though from only smoke damage as it wont boot up

SO im hoping the nvme drive at least will transfer to a new similar build and boot right up

COLGeek

Cybernaut
When I purchase a new laptop, I immediately wipe and perform a clean install of Windows (if a Win machine). Then, I install any OEM apps that I deem necessary/useful.

I, too, have "fond" memories of a laptop several years ago that crashed (BSOD) right out of the box. That was what started me on the procedure I outlined here.

For @ck1984 , do you have a working system that you can use to get the installation media needed that was mentioned by @USAFRet in the tutorial above?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Seems like there's something wrong internally. Opening it up would void warranty but formatting/ removing OS shouldn't going by search results on the matter. Contact HP, explain your situation and what you tried to do to fix on software level and see what your options are.

May 29, 2024
In that case if you can do a factory reset using hps reset tool do that but then immediately go through and uninstall whatever antivirus and junk apps they installed and that will still get you closer to a cleaner system.
the factory reset option may have been destroyed by attempting Debian 12 dualboot install, which somehow chose to use entire disk w/o my doing so instead of its own partition

how do i find out if this factory reset option is still there?
the computer came with almost zero mauals/documentation, what little there was ,
was in chinese :-(

USAFRet

Titan
the factory reset option may have been destroyed by attempting Debian 12 dualboot install, which somehow chose to use entire disk w/o my doing so instead of its own partition

how do i find out if this factory reset option is still there?
the computer came with almost zero mauals/documentation, what little there was ,
was in chinese :-(
Full user manuals available online.

Yes, if your Debian took the whole drive space, it took the 'factory reset' partition with it.

But you didn't really want that anyway.
That would install both the OS, AND all the crapware it came with.
That crapware was what was making it 'slow'.

You want a fresh clean install, of only Windows.
The above linked tutorial does exactly that.

May 29, 2024
i would gladly take back the factory reset if just to return this laptop for refund or exchange

if i just do that min windows tutorial, HP is likely going to say no refund or exchange

USAFRet

Titan
its HP 15-FC0030CA
Prod ID 7P9V5UA#ABL
From a working Windows system, you can access the "Recovery media" here:

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/hp-15.6-inch-laptop-pc-15-fc0000/model/2101497692?sku=7P9V5UA

Software-HP Cloud Recovery (1)
HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10 and 11)
The HP Cloud Recovery Tool is an application developed by HP. It enables customers to access a digital download of their recovery media and create a bootable USB drive (Minimum 32GB) to recover their units back to factory status.
Download tool here Microsoft Store

For further information about this tool, click on the following link.
Learn more

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/ish_4511095-4511141-16

TRENDING THREADS