Question New HP Laptop - Multiple BSOD's (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED) - Bad SSD? Short DST says "Not Available" ?

sgupta

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Hey all,

I've been working with a brand new HP laptop I'm getting ready for someone. I don't have the model number handy, but it's a really nice one - lightning fast, complete with an SSD.

Anyways, the first time I worked with it (transferring her files over, etc.), it seemed to be fine, but I got a random BSOD (I believe CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED...at least that's the error for the ones to follow). That was concerning, but I hadn't updated Windows yet or the drivers, and it seemed to pass a round of diagnostics fine, so I wrote it off as a fluke. Over the next few days, no further problems while I updated it, installed software, etc. I did a few extra rounds of diagnostics, and everything passed with flying colors, except:

Both in Windows, and in the UEFI diagnostics, the SSD passes S.M.A.R.T., but it refuses to do the short DST test (says "Not Available"). I initially thought maybe that was normal for SSD's since I haven't worked with any HP's with them until now, but the UEFI diagnostic DOES say SSD's are supported. And when I try to run the Long DST test, it at least starts, but it stops at about 10% with "Not Available" again. Just to be clear, this isn't a traditional failure message...it just acts like it can't do the test, for whatever reason. I'm beginning to think this might be a failure message and the test SHOULD run?

Strangely, the multiple Windows build updates, driver updates, installing several pieces of software like an office suite, etc. all went fine without issues. No more BSOD's for a few days. We got to the point where it was all ready...and suddenly, browsing the web or fairly low-level activities, everything stops responding for a bit (maybe a minute...mouse moves and such...but seems like anything that needs to access data doesn't work)...and boom...BSOD again. It did this twice, and I advised they return it and swap it out. I suspect the SSD. Do you folks agree, or could I be missing something here?

Thanks for any feedback!

sgupta

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Just as a followup to this in case it's helpful to others, we RMA'd it for a new one. The gut feeling was right. The new one passes all DST tests with flying colors in both UEFI and Windows. So if you've got a laptop with issues and are getting "Not Available" for any of the SSD tests, it does indeed indicate a failing SSD. (Personally, I think they should update the diagnostics to indicate that message is a failure in itself.)