Question New HP Laptop Windows 10 install - no hard drive but BIOS sees it

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavrick88

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Hello,

I'm pretty computer savvy but I don't understand these newer settings HP has in the BIOS for security with TPM and Secure Boot and I think that's where I'm messing up.

So my niece bought a brand new HP 14-dv0065st laptop and she accidentally reset some kind of security in the BIOS because her touch pad stopped working. She checked everything and all the suggestions to get the touch pad working didn't work. She reset something in the BIOS and then the laptop was asking for a BitLocker code and she had no idea where that was or how to get it, she never enabled it herself.

So I found a forum saying to delete all partitions and just reinstall Windows 10 if you absolutely can't find your BitLocker code. So I did that and it went fine. I even had a NVME to USB adapter so I did that on my computer as the laptop wouldn't "see" the drive in DISKPART.

After I did this, I put the NVME drive back in the laptop, went to install Windows 10 and the drive isn't there, of course. Yay! So I go to the BIOS (F10) and look into the settings to get to the hard drive and sure enough, the hard drive is there and the BIOS sees it. I can't install Windows 10 on it though. I was going to NVME to USB install Windows 10 but of course my Windows 10 USB stick won't let me install Windows 10 on NVME USB since it's USB.

So anyone know what settings in the BIOS on the HP laptop I need to change back so it can "see" this hard drive again in Windows 10 install?

I think it has something to do with TPM or Secure Boot settings but every combo I try to use just doesn't "see" the hard drive in Windows 10. I did see where to disable Secure Boot so that you CAN install Windows 10 from USB but that didn't work either. I'm at a loss now.

Thanks!

mavrick88

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Just as a follow up......+

On a side note the Touchpad still doesn't work and I'm sure it's defective, but right now I only care about getting Windows 10 back on it first!

In the HP Laptop my options under the Security tab are:

Admin Password (clear) - there isn't one
Power-on Password (clear) - there isn't one
TPM Device [Available] or [Hidden]
TPM State [Enabled] or [Disabled]
Clear TPM [No] or [Yes]
Restore Security settings to Factory Defaults (I think she did this by accident, which started the bitlocker thing).

Under Boot Options Tab:

Post Hotkey delay (sec) 0
USB Boot [Enabled]
Secure Boot [Disabled]
Clear All Secure Boot Keys
Load HP Factory Default Keys (I can only select this if I Clear All Secure Boot Keys first)

Status
Not open for further replies.