News New HTC Vive Pro 2 VR Headset Taps AMD, Nvidia for Display Stream Compression

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
Even though it's "not for gamers" I'd have bought one for gaming had they used OLED panels instead of LCD...

There are a massive number of dark vr games. When I had the original Rift it was great because with an OLED you can see when it's mostly black. A great example is the Vader Unleashed series made by oculus studios.

With LCD it's nearly impossible to play that game. The blacks become gray and you can't see any detail...hell half the time you can't see where you're going. This was on the Rift S and I also tried it on the Index.

We need a new high end pc centric HMD that has 120hz OLED displays and we need it soon. We also need them to stop gutting games to make them work on the quest.

A great example for that is Population One. I played an early version and the visuals were excellent as was the gameplay. Then the game launched and it went from looking like a modern AA game to something from the ps2 era and they dumbed the gameplay way down and it felt super clunky.

I've argued with many about standalone vs PC. Here's the deal... Most people that buy a quest or standalone HMD use it a few times themselves, they use it at parties or family gatherings and then it gets shelved exactly like the Nintendo Wii. Selling units doesn't mean making money.

They need to cater to both markets and they can essentially do r&d once then just make a couple small changes and have a standalone and a high end pc headset. Without that core gamer market on PC I absolutely believe VR will die. We are the ones who buy the most games, we are the ones who kept vr alive long enough for the quest to even exist. Ignoring that market is a fatal mistake.

Also no, being able to hook a quest up to a pc and watch a compressed video stream of a game running on said pc is nowhere near the same as a focused purpose built PC HMD.

Reactions: cerealkeller

cerealkeller

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
i hate the Quest series for a number of reasons and Oculus will probably lose me as a customer very soon if they don’t come up with a successor to the Rift S. Their ecosystem is a joke now, timed exclusives locked out of their own headsets. WTF is that!? I really do not like the Vive wands, Oculus definitely got their controllers right. But this Vive headset sounds amazing. Way too expensive though, I’ll be sticking with my Rift S for awhile longer. I’m the type to spend absurd amounts of money on PC hardware and accessories, but $1000+ for a VR headset? That’s just crazy to me. Unfortunately there’s really not that many good games on VR, which make it an even poorer value.

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
Even though it's "not for gamers" I'd have bought one for gaming had they used OLED panels instead of LCD...

There are a massive number of dark vr games. When I had the original Rift it was great because with an OLED you can see when it's mostly black. A great example is the Vader Unleashed series made by oculus studios.

With LCD it's nearly impossible to play that game. The blacks become gray and you can't see any detail...hell half the time you can't see where you're going. This was on the Rift S and I also tried it on the Index.

We need a new high end pc centric HMD that has 120hz OLED displays and we need it soon. We also need them to stop gutting games to make them work on the quest.

A great example for that is Population One. I played an early version and the visuals were excellent as was the gameplay. Then the game launched and it went from looking like a modern AA game to something from the ps2 era and they dumbed the gameplay way down and it felt super clunky.

I've argued with many about standalone vs PC. Here's the deal... Most people that buy a quest or standalone HMD use it a few times themselves, they use it at parties or family gatherings and then it gets shelved exactly like the Nintendo Wii. Selling units doesn't mean making money.

They need to cater to both markets and they can essentially do r&d once then just make a couple small changes and have a standalone and a high end pc headset. Without that core gamer market on PC I absolutely believe VR will die. We are the ones who buy the most games, we are the ones who kept vr alive long enough for the quest to even exist. Ignoring that market is a fatal mistake.

Also no, being able to hook a quest up to a pc and watch a compressed video stream of a game running on said pc is nowhere near the same as a focused purpose built PC HMD.

I hear you on the terrible gray blacks of LCDs, but the fact is there is more detail in dark areas. It didn't "feel" that way to me, but when I ran through the tests in HMDtest, the data doesn't lie. More black detail and greater dynamic range when comparing Vive Pro to Index. Flip side: the clarity of the Index was not actually better than the Vive Pro. Sure there is less screen door, but the ability to resolve fine details was the same. After running the Index for a week, the grays didn't bother me as much. I got used to them. But like you, the "ambience" of dark games is just better with OLED, and the awful godrays of the stack fresnel on the Index ultimate had me decide to return it. I will say going back to the Vive Pro, I now notice the dirty screen effect like I never have before, and it really bugged me after getting used to the smoothness of LCD. That said, after a week, I barely notice that anymore.