teajai67

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
i am looking to build a htpc. i have some experience building desktops. i want to do away with my cable bill if possible. i would like it to have pvr capabilities too. any suggestions would be great. i do not want to spend more than 800.00 at this moment, but i would like to make sure it can be upgraded. i have not built a linux system yet, but am not opposed to it.

You'd want an mATX casing or even better a shoebox and here is a suggested config, you may want to add in a TV tuner card or get another HDD for RAID yada yada hehe I'd be looking to undervolt this set up as much as i can get away with and DDR2 800 value RAMs would do actually ^^
DenebX3HTPC.jpg

teajai67

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
thank you all for your replies. i am considering using linux to cut some of the costs. what about myth tv? rwpritchett - i am starting from scratch.

simonv

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009

I'm using MythTV for two years now and I'm satisfied with it. At that time it was useful if you were able to poke around linux, but now I think that is much easier with all that myth enabled distributions (Mythbuntu etc).