New HTPC/Gaming build - $600-750

damntinnitus

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Hi all,

Looking for a Home theater & Gaming PC to replace my failing PS3 and outdated computer. Will be using the system for netflix, downloaded movies in HD, bluray, moderate gaming, and office tasks/general usage.

First, wanted to get your thoughts on a barebones system that looks like a good deal.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2202111&CatId=4910

It's currently $110 off, and some of the components I was looking at already anyways. I have heard a few negative reviews on the Ultra PSU, but this being my first computer build I don't know lots about the quality of the various components, so I'm turning to the community for their input.

I've posted my details for a system below. I figured since this kit comes with an SSD, I could also get an HDD and just use the SSD for OS and core apps. Also thinking of getting an HD 6850 video card.

Approximate Purchase Date: this week

Budget Range: 600-750 - After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: home theater, gaming, general use

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: none preferred, whoever has the best price and support, was thinking tigerdirect.ca or newegg.ca

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: n/a

Thanks in advance for your input & advice! :hello:

rvilkman

Distinguished
Bluray playback on PC's requires software that costs about $90-100 so that should be take into account when putting this together.
The actual bluray drive is not as much of a problem, they are about $30-50 more than a DVD burner.

That being said, you 'might' be happier getting a separate BluRay player like Sony S580 or whatever happens to strike your fancy.
There is hardly any price difference and at best it's for having a separate bluray player.

But it's not a big difference so it can be done in the HTPC with the listed investment.

damntinnitus

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I think what I will do then is leave the blu-ray player and software out for now, I don't watch a ton of blu-rays anyways, right now mostly Netflix and the odd movie download. A separate player is probably the best idea somewhere down the road.

damntinnitus

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
So I just checked back on that barebones kit I posted above, and now the price is $742 after rebate??? It was listed at $500 when I checked it yesterday, $742 for that package is a definite no.