New HyperX memory not recognized in EliteBook

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2018
Hi guys

I got a brand new HP EliteBook 840 G4 for work. I wanted to upgrade its memory from 2x8 to 2x16GB. Unfortunately the new RAM is not recognized by the system. The BIOS emits a beep code and won't start! According to HP, the beep code (3.2) indicates that "the embedded controller has timed out waiting for BIOS to return from memory initialization" :/

According to HP, my laptop supports up to 32GB RAM.

This is the memory I bought: Kingston HyperX Impact SODIMM - 32GB Kit*(2x16GB) - DDR4, 2400MHz, CL14, 1.2V, Unbuffered (HX424S14IBK2/32)
https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/?partid=HX424S14IBK2/32

I can't see why this memory would not fit. Can anyone help me? Which replacement should I get instead?

Thx a lot in advance!
Marco

Reactions: stefTN
Solution
Either look on HPs support site for a list of compatible RAM or check on Kingston's site and do a search for your model number for what they say is compatible. www.crucial.com also has a good memory selection.

Did you do a BIOS update before trying the RAM, that may help.
Either look on HPs support site for a list of compatible RAM or check on Kingston's site and do a search for your model number for what they say is compatible. www.crucial.com also has a good memory selection.

Did you do a BIOS update before trying the RAM, that may help.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS