Question New i5-11400 overheating to 100°C in games with stock cooler.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 31, 2021
Hello everyone and sorry for any errors in the language, new dumbass here with some possibly obvious question but i just bought a new processor, a i5-11400 with an B560M Aorus MOBO since my previous MOBO was dying and i couldn't find one to hold my old i5-4570.
So, i did the deed, exchanged the old MOBO for the new one, all 4 pins of the stock cooler are correctly placed and i used some from what i believe good quality thermal paste, and i recently checked and the plastic isn't there as i read that could be the cause, my case is an old Sentey case which is huge and it has alot of space inside it.
Now my old 4570 with it's old stock cooler never went quite so high in temps in the last 6-7 years i used it, and when i first installed Steam and went to play Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous i noticed some noise(I believe this noise is the coolers from my GTX 970 since in some games that CPU usage isn't as high the noise still happens but the temps stay at 50°C on the processor) , so i checked on HWMonitor and every single core of the processor was at 100°C which made me quite worried so i closed and uninstalled the game for the moment, but as i said the 4570 handled this with the least of problems possible, i checked and the back cooler of my build is working as intended throwing the hot air out.

So moving on i tried some other indie games like Greak which is rather small and it also took my CPU to 100°C in like 30 seconds from the 40°C it was while idling.

I opened my case and from all i could see the cooler is working as intended, there is enough thermic paste from what i saw, only problem is that i only have a single other fan in the case since the other 2 went to the shadow realm some time ago, but again that was before the change and the old processor and it's cooler never got to temps that high.

Any help would be hugely appreciated since i come from a rather poor country and this change of pieces was rather expensive to me and i would be heartbroken to see any of it break.

Edit : Also i should mention that here in my country it's rare to impossible to see any of the more potent air coolers, i was thinking of buying a deepcool AIO 240mm or a corsair H60 120mm to see if they would help but from what i read they reduce temps in like 15°C so that would still be quite alarming at 85°C.
Also i had to reduce the maximum power/output/ don't know the word in english from the CPU from 100% to 95%, it helped alot in most games but the ones i did mention here Greak and Pathfinder still go up to 100°C, but other than that most normal use doesn't go above 55°C.

Last edited:
i took the stock cooler off and checked twice already, reapplied the paste, and i'm 100% sure the stock cooler is put on correctly since all 4 black pins are sticking out the other side, can you think of anything else for me to take a look at to be sure?
When you reinstall Intel stock cooler, black push-pins have to be aligned into correct position.
If you don't do that, this results in poor contact between cpu and the cooler.

Instruction here:
resettingpushpins4.jpg

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005852/processors.html

From your photo it's not quite possible to see, if pins are aligned properly. Rather dark/low res image and cpu power cord obstructs viewing of pin orientation.

Dec 31, 2021
Guys i was reading around the forum and i found this : https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...on-when-i-launch-games-not-all-games.3715810/

One of the things i did when i changed my MOBO and the CPU was also to buy an WD NVME and not gonna lie the windows installation was quite the problem since my windows key was on the old SSD that burned and so i was using a non active windows till the message dissapeared by itself (Still haven't bought a new key atm but i plan to), could this have anything to do with my problems?

Edit : It's similar to my problem in that for example Dying Light doesn't make my CPU utilization go very high and temps stay in mid 70's to low 80's depending on how many zombies are in the screen and i can play for hours, but games way smaller and light, for example the new Inscryption and the indie Children of Morta which are low graphics and stuff jump the CPU ultilization to almost 100, with 90-100 degrees in less than 5 minutes.

windows installation was quite the problem since my windows key was on the old SSD that burned and so i was using a non active windows till the message dissapeared by itself (Still haven't bought a new key atm but i plan to), could this have anything to do with my problems?
Windows license is tied to motherboard (not to failed SSD).
You can reinstall windows on the same computer (same windows version/same edition) as many times as you want.
There's no need to purchase another windows license.

If you changed motherboard also, then you can transfer license from old pc to new one by using windows activation troubleshooter (significant hardware change option).
You have to use windows online user accounts on both your pcs. License transfer doesn't work, if you use local windows user accounts.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...eshooter-d717cdff-cf19-9770-7198-40119c2a696c

Reactions: Zenspy
Dec 31, 2021
Windows license is tied to motherboard (not to failed SSD).
You can reinstall windows on the same computer (same windows version/same edition) as many times as you want.
There's no need to purchase another windows license.

If you changed motherboard also, then you can transfer license from old pc to new one by using windows activation troubleshooter (significant hardware change option).
You have to use windows online user accounts on both your pcs. License transfer doesn't work, if you use local windows user accounts.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...eshooter-d717cdff-cf19-9770-7198-40119c2a696c
Thanks i'll have a look, but do you think that the windows not being licensed could by the cause? I didn't find anything about that while reading about it.

About the other points in that topic do you think that the NVME could be the cause of the overheating?

Dec 31, 2021
Cause for what? CPU overheating?
No.
Improperly installed or insufficient cooling is cause for that. Excessive overclocking can be cause too.
Guys i was reading around the forum and i found this : https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...on-when-i-launch-games-not-all-games.3715810/

One of the things i did when i changed my MOBO and the CPU was also to buy an WD NVME and not gonna lie the windows installation was quite the problem since my windows key was on the old SSD that burned and so i was using a non active windows till the message dissapeared by itself (Still haven't bought a new key atm but i plan to), could this have anything to do with my problems?
Alright, so i did the thing you said and the windows is now active.

So moving on from that, is it possible that my problem is the same as the man from that post? About the NVME being the cause? Because i really don't think that my problem is the cooling since everything was working perfectly like 6 hours before i changed my parts.

This topic is so long. Couldn't find, if you changed your cpu cooler or not?
Stock cooler is inadequate - even if installed properly.
It seems, you don't have it installed properly.

Can you show a photo of current status of your cpu cooler? Better well lit photo with orientation of push pins clearly visible.

Reactions: Zenspy
Dec 31, 2021

Can you show a photo of current status of your cpu cooler? Better well lit photo with orientation of push pins clearly visible.
Alright i'll take some pics after noon here since it's been asked alot, but from what i saw on the LTT video i really don't think the stock cooler is improperly installed, i'll also change it for an aircooler since i already bought it and it's arriving next week so that problem should sort itself out either way.

But i was doing some tests yesterday and things that really shouldn't overcharge the computer were doing so and others like emulators that are all CPU were keeping temps at low 40's.

Dec 31, 2021

Alright i took some pictures, View: https://imgur.com/a/Ep6AqQs
(The cable above the cpu cooler is way above and seems to in no way interrupt it, i thought that could be it but there's like a 10cm difference in them ) this is from the CPU cooler fan and the BIOS settings since someone asked me for those too, hope it'll help solve it, thanks in advance.

Alright i took some pictures, View: https://imgur.com/a/Ep6AqQs
(The cable above the cpu cooler is way above and seems to in no way interrupt it, i thought that could be it but there's like a 10cm difference in them ) this is from the CPU cooler fan and the BIOS settings since someone asked me for those too, hope it'll help solve it, thanks in advance.
Why is the CPU fan connected to a chassis_fan header?

What's the brand and model of the ketchup and mostard cable PSU? It seems pretty old.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Dec 31, 2021
Why is the CPU fan connected to a chassis_fan header?

What's the brand and model of the ketchup and mostard cable PSU? It seems pretty old.
Could you dumb down the first question please? I'm kind of illiterate in these matters and don't know much about the pins and connectors.

The PSU cables are from a 2015 Corsair 600W 80+ Bronze non modular.

One pin not aligned properly.
Another pin not visible. Probably also not aligned properly.
Remove the cooler and reinstall.

View: https://i.imgur.com/DH34gnp.jpeg
Alright, do you think it would be best for me to do that or just wait till monday/tuesday when the Air Cooler arrives and change the stock cooler for it? I don't plan on playing much till then since i have alot of school work to do this week so i don't think i'll push the computer to it's boundaries before the new parts arrive.

Alright, do you think it would be best for me to do that or just wait till monday/tuesday when the Air Cooler arrives and change the stock cooler for it? I don't plan on playing much till then since i have alot of school work to do this week so i don't think i'll push the computer to it's boundaries before the new parts arrive.
If you don't do any gaming, then it's probably fine to leave as is until new cooler arrives.

Dec 31, 2021
If you don't do any gaming, then it's probably fine to leave as is until new cooler arrives.
Alright thanks, if i don't have any more dumb questions from now until arrival of the air cooler then this is it for now, i appreciate all your answers and time SkyNet and friends, thank you very much and i hope i come back here with good news.