Question New i5-4690 won't post?

Malkavia

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
I recently ordered an i5-4690 to upgrade from my i3-4130, to go with my ASUS H81M-PLUS mobo and it just won't boot for some reason. The fans come on, the pc keeps running fine but there's just no signal to my monitor and also no beeps from the pc.
However, when I reinstall my old cpu, everything boots up absolutely fine.

I already updated my BIOS a few days beforehand and I know the cpu is compatible. So far I've tried booting with no RAM/GPU, switching RAM slots etc. Also tried clearing my CMOS, and making sure there weren't any pins bent on the mobo. All the right cables are connected and I've even followed the steps in https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

I can only assume my new CPU is either faulty (which I've heard is really rare) or it's a BIOS/driver/update related issue considering my old one works fine and has no issues.

I'm tempted to try and downgrade my BIOS to the first version the i5-4690 requires but I don't even know if that will make a difference. I've also heard there were some Intel Management Engine Interface issues with the i5-4690k that caused it not to post but I don't know if that will also apply to the regular 4690. Does anyone have any other suggestions before I just return this CPU as faulty? I'm stumped.

Malkavia

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Have you tried switching the ram in slots or leaving just one ram stick?
I know for some odd reason my xeon wont boot with 2 sticks of ram, but when i boot with first one then with second it works fine.

Yeah I've tried using one RAM stick at a time in different slots, and even tried booting with no RAM at all- it doesn't even beep on boot with the new CPU in. I tested the same RAM method with my old cpu and it beeps to let me know, which makes me think it's the new CPU that's either not working or not getting recognised somehow.

It should boot or beep, but you are not getting even beeps tho.

I would try to RMA the CPU if you still have warranty from the seller.

Check back of the CPU that there are no like black dots, dirt or broken capacitors (those little brown things with silver).

If you will, try to downgrade first the bios, just make sure that your i3 stays supported! And not to brick the motherboard in process.

I suspect that you may have damaged one of the cpu socket pins while inserting the new processor.
Unfortunately it is all too easy to do if you smooshed the processor around while seating it.

Take the processor out and look carefully at the pins.
If one is awry, sometimes you can fix them.
Post a photo if you need help with this.

stormdb

Reputable
Nov 15, 2020
Had exactly the same problem with ASUS H81e-m and CPU upgrade i3 4130 -> i5 4690.
After some time finally managed to do it on Windows 10. Had to use Intel Management Interface driver V9.5.15 from ASUS website for Windows 7-8 under Windows 10. Installer complained at the end, but "BIOS updater" utility (also from ASUS website) finally started and was able to flash BIOS 3206. After that PC booted with i5-4690.
Before that all attempts with flashing various versions of BIOS from BIOS itself and from AI Suite software were useless. BIOS was updated, but CPU wasn't recognized. Only "BIOS updater" utility worked.
People say that "BIOS updater" utility also updates chipset and it is the key to get newer CPUs recognized. See comments under this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrvmM5UVcRg&ab_channel=TheA.D.D.Gamer