new i7-4790k overheating

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BewareOfButtlice

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Building a new computer, specs listed below.... The i7-4790k seems to be overheating. I have an H80i on it with the push pull method on fans, coming from outside the case and the temperatures are about 38*C at idle then when running prime they skyrocket to 85-100*C within a second of starting the stress. Confirmed temperatures using CoreTemp and also stressed with AIDA64.

I researched overheating issues with the h80i on some motherboards and found that the backplate will be loose when installed, which it is. I installed washers as recommended and that got it a tiny bit cooler, which is the current temps i was getting above. without the washers installed it was idling at 45*c!

I noticed during the Valley benchmark, the first score was high, second and third get progressively lower and temperatures progressively rise until the alarm set in BIOS goes off around 80*c... I have repasted the processing using Arctic Silver, which shaved about 2-4*c on temperatures but still WAY too high for this processor.

For kicks, i installed the stock cooler on the processor. at IDLE it is nearly 80*C read from the BIOS!!! There is no overclock done to this processor. The heatsync is seated firmly/properly on the cpu. I've built hundreds of computers without having issues like this.

Specs:
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 Motherboard
Inteli i7-4790K
Corsair H80i Cooler -- push pull fan setup
G.Skill Trident X Series 16gb DDR3-2666 (F3-266C12D-16GTXD)
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified 3gb

Do i have a DOA CPU???

Solution
There have been many reports of Devil's Canyon processors which are thermally very ill behaved, and had to be RMA'd. Most are L3 Batch, but some are L4. It might just be that you have a bad one, in which case there's nothing you can do to make it behave thermally, except for de-lidding ... not recommended.

Sorry.

CT :sol:

RagingDinosaur

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
So, just finding this post. I recently just bought the i7-4790k, and im having major problems with it. looked multiple times and reappled the heatsink and have nanodiamond thermal paste applied as well. my CPU would jump to 75C-82C while playing like assasins creed or even league of legends. Every time my turbo boost kicked in and got to about 4.3 GHz, my computer would completely shut down, so turned off turbo in my BIOS and max CPU speed and 4.0. This decreased my temperature by like 10C, but if i play for maybe about 2 hours, it increases to 80C anyway and shuts down. BUT if i decrease my speeads to 3.5GHz, everything is fine. I mean i didnt spend the money to under clock my processor lol are there any hints as to what i can to try and fix this? Water Coolers recommended or settings i should change? anything please, also im using the asus z97 sabertooth mark 1 M/B. Thanks.

BewareOfButtlice

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Received the new CPU and it is an L4. Installed it and idle temps are down to 28C. Overclocked to 4.6Ghz and it runs a steady 68-72C under load. It was definitely a bad CPU!

Thanks for all the help! In my career, I have never seen a CPU bad out of the box quite like this one.

rdizz81

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012

Never seen a bad cpu... Gratz man glad you got it solved

Status
Not open for further replies.