a_crumbsnatcher

Prominent
Jul 1, 2017
CPU Specs
Mobo - Gigabyte Z270XP-SLI
CPU - i7 7700k
heatsink/fan - Cryorig H5 universal
RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200
GFX - GeForce GTX 970 (re-used from previous PC)
PSU - Corsair CX750M

i have not overlocked anything, my idle cpu temp is around 30-34 degrees. when running stress tests, it gets to about 50-55 then locks up.

new build and i'm running into issues with locks/restarts. This occurs randomly and in-games. If i run a stress test like Intel Burn In or prime95, my computer instantly freezes (less than 10 seconds into the test).

all drivers and BIOS are up-to-date. I've tried two different 750w PSUs with no change. I've ran memorytest86 with no errors. I also ran the stress tests with 1 stick, then the other, same result.

i'm not sure if the CPU i purchased was just...damaged? in some way, or if there's a mobo problem or driver problem. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
That cooler should be sufficient. My Cryorig H7 keeps my 7700K from throttling running Prime95 v26.6 at stock clocks/voltage.

I would remove the CPU and check for bent pins on the mobo and then reseat the CPU and cooler and try to run the tests again.

a_crumbsnatcher

Prominent
Jul 1, 2017
yes, and i have to hard restart it. originally windows reliability would report an error 141, but it hasn't reported an actual hardware error recently, it just says either 'Desktop Window Manager' stopped working, or 'Windows was not properly shut down'.

That cooler should be sufficient. My Cryorig H7 keeps my 7700K from throttling running Prime95 v26.6 at stock clocks/voltage.

I would remove the CPU and check for bent pins on the mobo and then reseat the CPU and cooler and try to run the tests again.

Solution
Running CPUz, does your core voltage ramp up to 1.24V or so during the test? (Any chance you've set a low core voltage manually, such as 1.1V which can't ramp up to 1.25 or so with demand?)

I'd investigate hard for settings in the BIOS that might do best when set to 'Auto'/'Default'....