New i7 8700k CPU overheating

Nov 5, 2018
Hello,

I just upgraded from AMD to an i7 8700k. I purchased an Asus ROG Strix B360-H Gaming mobo and HyperX Fury 2x8GB 2133MHz DDR4 RAM, as well as a Corsair H100i pro.

Upon boot the CPU temp continues to climb until it overheats. I initially figured it was my really old Corsair H100 finally giving out. I replaced it with the H100i but I'm still having the same problem. I read that it could be a defective processor, but I'm unsure since I have so much new hardware. Any help is appreciated!

GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 AMP Edition, ZT-P10600B-10M, 6GB GDDR5
Psu: 1000w
Windows 10 64 bit
120gb SSD for booting
500gb HDD

Please let me know if I need to provide more details! Thanks again.

Solution
Is the power for the pump plugged in? Are the fans plugged in and running? Is the pump running (you should be able to hear/feel it)? Did you clamp the waterblock down properly? I'd wager a very significant amount of money that it's not a defective processor.
Is the power for the pump plugged in? Are the fans plugged in and running? Is the pump running (you should be able to hear/feel it)? Did you clamp the waterblock down properly? I'd wager a very significant amount of money that it's not a defective processor.

Solution
Nov 5, 2018
Thanks for the quick replies. I confirmed all fans are functioning as well as my pump. My water block is snug, however, the standoffs that you have to mount on the back of the mobo was a little loose. Some people said it was fine and others said I should have some kind of rubber washer to secure it. Once I tightened up the water block it seemed fine; I know it's making contact with the i7. My cpu is over heating in bios but I did not do a clean windows install I can give that a try

Nov 5, 2018
Fixed! Turns out I incorrectly reused the stand off screws from my old Corsair H100 which are about 1 cm taller than the H100i stand offs. My heat sink was not making contact. Thank you for your help!