[SOLVED] New I7-9700 very hot and very high usage !!!

Jun 11, 2020
Hello guys, today i just received my i7-9700(non K version) and i build my pc after that. The problem i encountered is when i open a game such as Apex Legends or AC Odyssey, my CPU temp rise dramatically to 95-100 degree celcius and my cpu usage is quite high ! It took about 15 seconds to get to 95-100c after i run my game and often hits 100c !!! Im using the Intel stock cooler that came with the CPU. Besides that, my stock cooler is making very loud noise and the RPM very high ! Is it because of the Intel stock cooler that make the CPU temp constantly hits 100c or i did anything wrong when i build my pc? Any suggestions ? This is the example of the benchmark i did in Apex Legends - View: https://imgur.com/a/2a1Aa4J

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)The Intel stock cooler isn't really adequate for that cpu.
2)Those push-pin coolers are REALLY easy to install incorrectly, to the point of being a PITA.

Do you have spare thermal paste? If you do...
Remove the cooler, clean off the old paste using alcohol and a disposable cloth - you don't want to use it on something used regularly, as the paste doesn't come off easily, if at all. I made that mistake with a hand towel...
Apply new paste - a little in the middle, and the cooler mounting pressure will do the rest.
Ok, do 2x pins diagonally, at the same time - they must produce their loud, audible click. Then do the next 2 at the same time.
Check temps again.

Even after you've installed it correctly, I wouldn't be surprised if temps still aren't great. If you can get around 85C or lower, it'll be fine.

Jun 11, 2020
2)Those push-pin coolers are REALLY easy to install incorrectly, to the point of being a PITA.

Remove the cooler, clean off the old paste using alcohol and a disposable cloth - you don't want to use it on something used regularly, as the paste doesn't come off easily, if at all. I made that mistake with a hand towel...
Apply new paste - a little in the middle, and the cooler mounting pressure will do the rest.
Ok, do 2x pins diagonally, at the same time - they must produce their loud, audible click. Then do the next 2 at the same time.
Check temps again.

Even after you've installed it correctly, I wouldn't be surprised if temps still aren't great. If you can get around 85C or lower, it'll be fine.

Check temps again.

I did not have thermal paste because i thought i just wanna go with the intel stock cooler,besides the intel stock cooler already have thermal paste applied with it. Im pretty sure i installed it correctly because i heard loud audible click for each pin and i push 2 pins diagonally... Right now should i change my stock cooler to aftermarket cooler or just install back again the intel stock cooler with new thermal paste?

alexbirdie

Respectable
Although you wrote, that you believe to have mounted the cooler properly, i have the opinion, that the symptoms can only be caused by not correct working cooler.

Perhaps something with the cpu-cooler-backplate ist wrong etc., I do not know.

I suggest:
1. get some thermal-paste , remove cooler, clean it and retry.

If OK-----> :)
If NOK,then

2.get some new (and better) tower-cooler and mount it

if OK -----> :)
if NOK---> :joycat: no idea but motherboard-cooler-mounting seems wrong somehow ---> new motherboard ?

PS: was there any protection foil on the cooler? If yes, did you remove it?

Jun 11, 2020
Although you wrote, that you believe to have mounted the cooler properly, i have the opinion, that the symptoms can only be caused by not correct working cooler.

Perhaps something with the cpu-cooler-backplate ist wrong etc., I do not know.

I suggest:
1. get some thermal-paste , remove cooler, clean it and retry.

If OK-----> :)
If NOK,then

2.get some new (and better) tower-cooler and mount it

if OK -----> :)
if NOK---> :joycat: no idea but motherboard-cooler-mounting seems wrong somehow ---> new motherboard ?

PS: was there any protection foil on the cooler? If yes, did you remove it?

no protection foil on the cooler at all, the cooler already applied with thermal paste, i just need to mounting it on my cpu and play

Jun 14, 2020
last week i bought i7 9700 and have the same problem with you. Then I used Alseye H120D, then my pc 36 deg C at idle and 60-70 when full load. HYPER 212 is good choice, or you can buy ID Cooling SE-234 which is better in value and perf

Jun 11, 2020
yes, only for a while, because temp 80 deg when I install game (note: only install game). then I order new CPU cooler that day

OMG !!! Hahaha, i think im gonna go with Alseye H120D because you encountered the same problem with me. If that cooler can maintain your cpu temp between 60-70 when full load based on what you shared before, i think it can be a great deal... Btw does the fan in Alseye H120D produce loud noise when cpu in full load?