New i7 installed, PC not showing any signs of powering on!

Apr 27, 2018
Hello to everyone who reads this, and I apologize in advance for not really knowing what I'm doing.

Today I installed a new processor, specifically an i7 8700k (replacing the old processor, an i5 7700k.) After removing the i5 and inserting the i7 in it's place, then re-securing the CPU cooler and making sure everything is in order, I discovered that my PC won't even begin to boot. My LED indicator for power to the motherboard is lit, however, pressing the cases power button has no effect.

I tried a few things to narrow down that the problem was the new CPU. Most importantly (I think,) I discovered that removing the i7 and putting the i5 back with no other changes allowed the system to boot up with no issue.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Is my new i7 a dud? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

UPDATE: Can't believe I forgot to include my specs.

MOBO: ASUS B150 PRO GAMING D3 ATX DDR3
CPU: i7 8700k/i5 7700k
PSU: Corsair CX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Bronze
RAM: x2 8gb sticks of DDR3
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Ti GAMING 8G

that CPU will never work in that motherboard. you are limited to 6th gen CPUs and 7th gen with a BIOS update. you will either need to buy a Z370 board or return the CPU. its hard to tell sure from your post what you old CPU was because the max i5 model is 7600K, 7700K would be an I7

Apr 27, 2018

I guess had I done my research properly I would have avoided the problem -- Well, not really, but I would have known to order a new motherboard with it.

I ordered a new motherboard that is compatible with my i7 8700k, and also upgraded to 16 gigs of DDR4. Should be here in a couple of days, hopefully with no issues. Thanks again everyone who helped!

it's not just intel causing confusion for customers, AMD is confusing customers too by naming their chipsets almost identically after intel ones.