New id Tech 5 Rage Screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

telim

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Wow! Great screen shots! I really hope Rage will be another Doom3 or Crysis style release where the game is barely playable with current hardware; this kind of pressure to upgrade is needed to force PC Gaming ahead of the console curve!

reichscythe

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
[citation][nom]telim[/nom]Wow! Great screen shots! I really hope Rage will be another Doom3 or Crysis style release where the game is barely playable with current hardware; this kind of pressure to upgrade is needed to force PC Gaming ahead of the console curve![/citation]

I'm going to assume you're not bein' sarcastic and respond to this as a straight comment: Carmack has already said the game is bein' designed around Consoles (he even went so far as to say the preferable control scheme will be a gamepad, not mouse/keyboard)... He's also stated id has the game runnin' at 60FPS on the 360 and on the PC, presumably using current PC tech... so... as far as Rage bein' a PC-centric killer app level title that will push boundaries, expand frontiers, and forge a bold new era in computer gaming...

Not bloody likely...

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
It looks great. However, the first screenshot shows a very obvious lack of illumination on the landscape. It should be much brighter with that sky.

Eh.. I know I'm picky.

chripuck

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
This won't put a dent in my PC. Not because I have a super awesome PC, but because this is console compatible and it has very little vegitation. That's why Crysis is so tough is the ridiculous amount of trees and such. You can take a fully pimped out Core i7 rig with two 295's and slow it down to a crawl with Oblivion if you hack the ini file and set the grass and tree settings to max.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
looks Fallout 3ish, which is not entirely bad. I am kind of getting tired of the whole post apocalyptic scene and am ready for a more "green" natural looking world.

meatwad53186

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Wow, idk abou tyou guys, but the work they did on the sky/clouds is breathtaking. I think it will really add a nice touch to the gameplay, while I usually don't notice the sky in most games I play, they never really looked so impressive or stood out as much. I'm pretty impressed by that right now, but we'll see when the game actually drops and we get to see how it moves/changes.

downer88

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
[citation][nom]meatwad53186[/nom]Wow, idk abou tyou guys, but the work they did on the sky/clouds is breathtaking.[/citation]
The skies are the easiest thing to make look better, since it doesn't hurt performance no matter what they look like. Skies mostly look great because they are realistic, and the rest of the background still looks like its in a game. Ya, its not as obvious in game, than in a screenshot.

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
comparing tech 5 to the one on crysis [cryengine 2], which is superior?

to me, i find that cryengine is superior.

but we'll see based on the final development of id's new game.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
It doesn't look like something that'll need a monster of a PC to run but I still hope the gameplay is really fun and hope it is a Halo killer. We need something on PC that really shines above all other FPS.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
is it me... or are the cloud formations in pic 1 and 4 exactly the same even tho the pix look to be in different areas on the ground?

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]pochacco007[/nom]comparing tech 5 to the one on crysis [cryengine 2], which is superior?to me, i find that cryengine is superior.but we'll see based on the final development of id's new game.[/citation]

Thing is, Cryengine2 still runs like crap unless in DX9 or running liquid cooled GX295's in SLI and it's been out for years (I'm a 1920x1200 gamer). It's a great engine for sure and I would never deny that, but 2 years later while running faster hardware and two vid card generations later (i7, 9GB, 4850 1GB) I still cannot crank it at DX10 (barely 1280x1024 with some AA).

Carmack is very good about creating amazing graphics on less than stellar hardware that scales very well. If he pulls this off at 60fps on an Xbox 360 my computer will make it look phenomenal.

Cryengine "may" be top dog technically, but if I can't make it look like the top dog then the point is moot. STALKER CS also makes a great screenshot maker when cranked to the max, too bad I can only run 1280x1024....

I know my 4850 is not the bees knees but my other games play 1920x1200 no problem, I make enough money where I would buy a new card if it handled these games like it should but; minus a quad SLI/CF setup I am still waiting for that card.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]telim[/nom]Wow! Great screen shots! I really hope Rage will be another Doom3 or Crysis style release where the game is barely playable with current hardware; this kind of pressure to upgrade is needed to force PC Gaming ahead of the console curve![/citation]
I hope by barely playable you mean the actual gameplay is so incredibly boring and reused that they'll be forced to release an update with a real storyline. Oh wait this is iD, Yay for another generic shooter!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.