[SOLVED] New inexpensive CPU for R9 380 GPU?

May 20, 2020
So the old mobo (msi 970a-g43) on my gaming desktop pc died on me and since I can't find a replacement anywhere (I live in Argentina and nobody sells mobos with ddr3 memory or am3+ cpu sockets anymore) I find myself forced to upgrade my CPU (amd fx 8320) and ddr3 ram as well. I should probably do a full system upgrade because the GPU (radeon R9 380) is also pretty old but money is a bit tight and hardware is way more expensive here. So I intend to replace what i must with currently available equivalents to get the performance i can out of the video card.
With that out of the way, i was looking for some help deciding what CPU to get, i found a deal on an i3 9100f and was wondering if it might be a good option. Maybe paired with an msi h310m mobo?
Any suggestion or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Well, it really depends on the total cost of the two parts (MB + CPU). Well, also RAM, but you'll have to buy DDR4 RAM whether you go with a modern Intel or a modern AMD Ryzen.

Also, it's probably worth considering a Ryzen R5 coupled with a B450 based motherboard. But I don't know what the prices are like in Argentina, compared to the i3 9100f.

Finally, the new Ryzen 3300X is worth considering if you're looking predominantly at gaming.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-3-3300x-3100-cpu-review

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, it really depends on the total cost of the two parts (MB + CPU). Well, also RAM, but you'll have to buy DDR4 RAM whether you go with a modern Intel or a modern AMD Ryzen.

Also, it's probably worth considering a Ryzen R5 coupled with a B450 based motherboard. But I don't know what the prices are like in Argentina, compared to the i3 9100f.

Finally, the new Ryzen 3300X is worth considering if you're looking predominantly at gaming.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-3-3300x-3100-cpu-review

Solution
May 20, 2020
I looked at the ryzen 3 before the i3 but from what i could find the cost of the ryzen hovers at around the equivalent to $200 alone, which is what the i3 and a h310 mobo cost together.
I was mainly wondering because I heard from a friend that it might be better to get matching cpu and cpu brands, despite not being able to find any evidence online to back that up.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Wow, yeah, they SHOULD be around the same price, NO Ryzen 3 CPU should be THAT expensive.

If your friend is saying that it's better to get matching CPU and GPU brands, he's completely wrong. That "logic" means there would be no CPU to go with Nvidia, and no GPU to go with Intel except for their integrated graphics.

I'm not familiar with the Intel chipsets that much, so I can't really say if $200 for an i3 + h310m board is a good deal or not. In the US, the i3 9100f is going for around $75, and the various h310m boards around $70.

I can't seem to find any US prices for the Ryzen 3 3300X, and the B450 motherboard seem to start at $115 now. That could well be due to a combination of the pandemic and the Trump-vs-China tariffs.