New install at boot says no physical disk

bill721

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Just finished putting together my first system. No smoke...:) Loading everything. I noticed at boot up I get a message that says no physical drive, and my drive LED on the panel doesn't blink when accessing the disk. Windows 7 64 boots fine. I checked the disk and it show disk 0. Not sure what could be wrong. Any help would be appreciated. ASUS P8P67 deluse mobo and WD black 1 ter byte drive.

Thank you in advance.

tecmo34

Administrator
Are you booting into Windows without issues? So the PC is working, just receiving an error message at load?

If so, I would say it is the Marvell controller looking for a drive and not finding one. You could look to disable the controller in the BIOS to see if the message goes away (this is granted you have no drives connected to it :) ).

bill721

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Yes booting to windows is fine. And the only other issue I have is the little light that blinks when you access the hard drive on the console isn't flashing when the drive is being accessed. I'll have to look again. I connected the drive to the first Intel Sata 6g port port 1. I think I plugged my E-sata cable to one of the sata 6g ports also. I wonder if that may be the issue thinking about it. It isn't a physical drive. Maybe the led is a seperate issue.

thegryphon

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

Did you ever get this resolved? I have the EXACT same error with the EXACT same configuration, built oddly enough in the same month!

Thank you.

bill721

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Never got it resolved. I just figured that since I have it plugged into the USB3 connector it was a valid message. May be wrong but just forgot about it. Haven' had any issues.

thegryphon

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
No issues here either, just funny to see it everytime on boot up. I might try moving the SATA cable around see what that does to "correct" it. I'll post if it works. I'm going to shut down now and try it out.

Best, David

LEANGIMPY

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
I've just built new rig with same MoBo and I get same message whilst booting. I assumed that this message just confirmes that the rig is booting from the SSD and not a disk.
No problems with the way the build works though.