Question New Install of Win 10 Pro Retail. How do I import programs and settings from OEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stravencroft

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Like the title says I went ahead and got a retail copy of windows after a comedy of errors. When I first brought over my hard drive from my old motherboard my version of windows which I thought was retail showed up as OEM_DM and then deactivated. I then purchased what I thought was a retail key which ended up being a volume license, then another supposed sealed in box retail key which became an OEM_DM. Then I wiped out the windows installation after backing it up first and have a clean Retail version of windows. With practically nothing on it.

How do I bring my 10 years plus (all the way back from from Windows 7 Pro/ some parts from as far back as Windows ME) collection of programs, user settings and so forth over? All hard drives are plugged into the same motherboard currently. Literally on different hard drives however. I was going to try manually copy and pasting everything but I'd still need to manually install every single program and user setting.

I have backups created In Macrium Reflect where I cloned the disk but I don't want to clone the OEM disk over again and wipe out my Retail installation of Windows. I want to merge everything into the Retail version of Windows. Is that possible without a painful one by one reinstall?

stravencroft

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
there's no way to bring the programs with pc mover or a similar program? I'd clone the OEM disk again if doing so wouldn't just invalidate my retail key,

Status
Not open for further replies.