New install on ssd

discboy321

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I ran into a small problem and I am kinda stuck . I hope to get some ideas. A friend of mine did a new install on a new ocz 128gb ssd. He kept the old hhd but just unplugged the sata cable when he installed the os which is also windows 7 64bit. what he wants to do is just install the cable from the old hhd and take off except he already has some conflicting issues cause the pc now wants to start up using his old settings from the hhd and Not the ssd. My question is what files do I need to take off of his old hhd to prevent his pc from booting up.any ideas would be great. He has several programs that he wants to keep and he had tried a new program to automatically switch his os to the new drive but it did not work correctly.

namdlo

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
The boot sequence is set in the bios of the motherboard.

In some cases he won't be able to use the programs off the old hdd.

When you install programs it inserts lines into the registry - since it's a new install you don't have those settings any longer in the new OS.

He MIGHT be able to re-install some of the programs over the top of the existing and keep his settings - it's going to be hit/miss based on the software package.