New Installation Size (Windows 10)

cackland

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
Hi Guys,

So i've read up on the average size of a completely new fresh installation of Windows 10.

I've just installed a Windows 10 on a formatted SSD however when I check my C drive for space, it shows the installation file being 43.3GB.

Any help on why it is so high?

Thanks in advance :)

Solution

Hibernation OFF:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html

Pagefile
This depends on how much RAM you have. You can probably reduce the pagefile down to 1 or 2GB, rather than the default.
This PC
Advanced System Settings
Advanced tab
Performance
Settings
Advanced
Virtual Memory - Change

Set as needed

This is what mine is set to, with 16GB RAM
PkVo2Zf.jpg

Kurz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006

Did you use the latest image of windows 10? Or did you install 1511 and updated to 1607?

USAFRet

Titan

1. Pagefile.
2. hibernation file
3. Windows.old still in there?
4. Current updates.

However...43.3 is not far out of the realm of normal for a Windows OS.

What do you mean by "installation file"?

cackland

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016

Sorry I'm not sure what you are referring to. Please explain.

From my research, most people state that a fresh installation is around 20gb.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, the base install can be around 20GB.
Add on to that the pagefile. Possibly another 8GB.
Add on to that the hibernation file. Often, equal size to your RAM.
Add on to that whatever updates have come out since that USB you have was created.
Add on to that Restore Points. Even with a brand new install, there may be a couple.

Install and run WinDirStat. This may help visualize where your space is going.

What size is this SSD?

USAFRet

Titan

Hibernation OFF:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html

Pagefile
This depends on how much RAM you have. You can probably reduce the pagefile down to 1 or 2GB, rather than the default.
This PC
Advanced System Settings
Advanced tab
Performance
Settings
Advanced
Virtual Memory - Change

Set as needed

This is what mine is set to, with 16GB RAM
PkVo2Zf.jpg

Solution

John_633

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017

It is freaking huge Windows 3.0 installed in under 7 MB... 3,1 and 3.11 in under 10 MB. Windows 98 varied but was typically under 200 megs and almost always under 250 MB.

ME was always under 325 MB once you got rid of Temp files.

Higher builds of NT and Vista is where Windows install sizes ballooned. As nearly as I can tell there was no attempt at space optimization until 7 and that was pretty much a command to not let it get larger than 20 gigs for the base OS and associated files and Windows 8 and 10 kept most of that the same.

Oddly enough you can Download questionably legal versions of &, 8 and !0 under the names Tiny 7 and 8 and Lite 10 that strip alot of the little used portions of the OS away but have about 70 to 80% of the functionality and those are about 1/4th the size if that. I do strongly worry about the security and legality of those unauthorized stripped version. (calling them stripped is a bit unfair as they do present for the typical user pretty much the same experiance and functionality)

USAFRet

Titan

Everything was smaller. OS, games, images from your camera.

I remember the early 90's uproar over Falcon 3.0, when it installed at 40MB. A typical hard drive was 125MB.
Today, games are exceeding 50 or 60GB. 1,000 times larger.

Drive space is cheap.

John_633

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
Drive space is moderately cheap. However bus speed is a pain in the rear.
It somewhat irks me when programmers today say, oh don't worry about spending lots of time optimizing code for space a couple of processor cycles isn't a big deal. Individually its not. That said if everything is running bloated including the code your bloated code is built on then it starts to add up. There is no reason why in many cases a word processing program should take 15 seconds to open on my quad core 3.3 Ghz processor laptop. However it certainly does. For myself to type a letter in this program it wants to constantly run numerous threads constantly checking my spelling and grammar in a simple correspondence. It also wants in instantly update any reference to a web address into a live link and offers me 40 different options for export or publishing. I also have at least five different places that I can change at least some page formatting not all of which are fully inclusive nor update each other.

Why?

How is it acceptable to have an enormous resource hog of a word processing program when a run on demand spell check has been available for decades? Why is this program checking my grammer constantly instead of providing an aide when I choose to proof read? Why constantly display margin adjustment tabs when I set them initially during page layout and have another opportunity before I print? Why allow me to export directly as email? If I was going to email a print ready document why wouldn't I just attach it to my email that I was sending as a file?

I understanding wanting to have neat new features in a program especially one that you want to keep updated and selling every few years. That said at a certain point you have to ask If and when I am implenting this am I inserting something that will be used by a broad portion of the User base and am I being redundant or unnecessarily complicating the system?

An even worse example than word is Cortana. Yes the ability to have voice activated controls in my OS is a nice feature for idle moments but in most cases that I have seen it isn't exactly more productive than traditional means. And why on earth does my OS have thousands of different animations in it? Having something go transparent as I drag it about the screen seems like a rather pointless use of resources and why on earth do things not delete when I delete them? If I went through the trouble of opening a command prompt instead they still sit there taking up drive space in a recycle bin. It is surprisingly hard to find a way to even get to the registry editor.

It required me to get a onto a system administrator account, then open 3 hidden directories that wanted admin passwords on top of being in an admin account. I did later learn that if I hadn't previously turned off Cortana I could have done a system search for it and saved a bit of time there.

Why can't I just go to a run prompt and type regedit?
Why don't I have on install a nice list of services and drivers to install or not install?

I can pretty much be assured that at any point in the life of the tablet that this is being typed on that it will never need a trackball or printer service. Fax Service is also fairly unlikely to be used regularly.... Why is it automatically enabled and started on every boot?

For your average computer worker on a day to day basis, what does windows 10 do that say windows 98 didn't? I really can't think of a whole lot really in fact I would argue that network connectivity is way more restricted on windows 10. Even device drivers didn't require multiple levels of signing and validation. So why is this system now so bloated. Also why on earth can't I turn off this GUI that is everywhere and run my programs directly?

Kurz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Everything you are complaining about can be easily disabled in options.
Though the size on the disk is the same the processing and Ram usage should go down when you disable them.

Windows 10 is much more user friendly than 98. There is less configuration driver hunting etc.

John_633

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
I have never had windows 98 tell me a driver was unsigned and that it wouldn't install the driver. Nor did it often update on its own without telling me to a new build and enable driver signing again. The product scanner was neatly plugged into a com port. I have not been able to; figure out how to get windows 10 to actually delete things when told to delete a file instead of go to the recycle bin, please clue me in on this. Please as well provide me with directions for keeping system search functional with cortana disabled. I have actually looked for answers to this and file explorer search is active but other system search functionality will be disabled if you stop cortana. Oh and please please please show me how I can run msconfig and regedit from a standard user account on win 10 without running them as admin and using an admin password. I would also love to figure out how to bypass the tile screen and just have a simple executable file to run more recent ms programs instead of having the windows table and phone code for ARM stuff there.

USAFRet

Titan
Bypass the Recycle bin:
Shift+Delete gives you this:
SBBr3OC.png

Note the word 'permanently'.

It has been this way for a very, very long time. At least XP, if not before.
All of the same shortcuts that existed before still exist.
Win 10 is not that much different than earlier versions.

There is a reason why regedit and msconfig needs admin account..to prevent a standard user from making a system wide 'oops'.

John_633

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
The don't move to recycle bin is handy thanks can't believe that I have been missing that for a decade+ with various window versions. The shift delete thing doesn't make it any better than recycle bin I still have to tell the computer to do the same thing twice. As for the other stuff a persons abilities to take down the system are endless. They don't need admin rights to attempt a motherboard firmware update if they manage to mess up the registry just pop in your copy of the system image and have them explain to their manager why their actions have them idle at work for the next 45+ minutes. Oddly enough I don't have to have people explain regularly.