[SOLVED] New Intel Build Bad Temps

Apr 5, 2021
Hey all, My first post here so be gentle :)
First of all sorry because its another temps question.

I just completed my first build (kinda), I have followed guides and watched numerous youtube videos before i even started this. I think I have everything plugged in to the correct places, followed the manual that came with each component explicitly.

The cooler came attatched to the cpu and motherboard as i bought a motherboard bundle.
using core temp program to find temps
no overclocking attempted

Specs:

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
Intel Core i9-10850K Unlocked Processor
Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3200 MHz RAM (2 x 8 GB)
PowerColor AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 8GB Red Dragon
Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
1000W EVGA G2-120-1000-X3
Rog Strix Helios Case

I have updated bios to latest, except the new beta bios.

I have 3 front fans (intake)
I have 1 rear fan (exhaust)
I have 2 top fans from the cooler (exhaust over radiator)

Now my problem is the cpu on idle (all cores under 5% mostly 0%) the temps are all above 30c some closer to 40c.
which isn't bad i think but as soon as i put any load on the temps jump massively depending on the load.

lower end for instance running any program that pushes any of the cores to around 30% makes the temp push 80c+on that core, anything around 40% or 50% load is pushing 100c
top end for instance loading the Cyberpunk game all cores push 90c+ with all hitting 100c at some point.

now i don't really have anything in my head to compare this too, my last system was i5 6600k with 32gb ram and the same graphic card and psu, but i've ran the same programs on that and the fans never went overtime on that rig.

i had the cooler fans plugged into the cooler at first and it was worse at idle with around 50c on all cores but i switched that to plugging the 2 fans on the cooler into the motherboard and its definately better with the mobo controlling the speed but the above temps are after this change (before the change it was much worse).

My thoughts are that the cooler isn't good enough to keep this cpu cool, is that possible or should the cooler be fine ?

thanks for any help or advice you guys can give

Solution
Preassembled, huh?
Were any pre-overclocks part of the bundle you paid for? That would be a no-no, because the current cooler couldn't handle that. If it's not OC'ed, then it's fine.

This has actually been a thing for some years in Europe and you can get some high quality systems delivered this way, I got a Z97 board, 4690k overlocked to 4.6Ghz with a fat Phanteks cooler, all packed fantastically into an easy to carry cardboard cube that could take quite a bit of shock. And that system was fantastic, stable and cool. So this way of selling a system doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad system , it was great and really easy to fit because you could just grab it by the cooler and bolt it all into the case. Lasted me years.

Your...
Apr 5, 2021
Kinda means its not quite my build as i bought it as a prebuilt bundle. sorry for any confusion.

The cooler came attatched to the cpu and motherboard as i bought a motherboard bundle.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Preassembled, huh?
Were any pre-overclocks part of the bundle you paid for? That would be a no-no, because the current cooler couldn't handle that. If it's not OC'ed, then it's fine.
Asus has been on point for following the Intel defined specs for their boards, but if the SI who assembled the PC applied a 'performance boost', that would go back to the above.

Are the screws fully secured? The user is supposed to keep turning them a little at a time until the screws 'stop' themselves.

I trust they put enough paste...

The pump speed is maxed out? I think it's called Extreme mode on iCUE?

Apr 5, 2021
thanks for the reply,

i reset the bios to optimised defaults just to try it, so as far as i can tell its not oc'd or has performance boost

the screws are tight to my hand and a little bit more on the screw driver, does it need more ?

i can't tell about the paste

the pump speed is on extreme

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Clock speeds you should be seeing:
4.7ghz across all cores(active), 4.8ghz with Thermal Velocity Boost(only active up to 70C)
Up to 5.1ghz on the 2 favored cores(usually marked in bios), 5.2 ghz with TVB

Over-tightening the cooler will just lead to the cpu failing to post, so don't do that.

No way to know about the paste without taking the cooler off...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Those Max Vcore values are high!
I mean, it's normal to see them in the range of 1.2-1.3v, but not over 1.4v! It's got to be related to this:

Please go into the bios and make some manual changes. Use Advanced Mode for bios, not E-Z.
Under the Ai Tweaker tab:
Ai Overclock Tuner > XMP I
Asus Multicore Enhancement > Disabled - Enforce all limits

Cpu Core Voltage > Adaptive Mode.
Offset Mode Sign > (-).
Additional Turbo Mode Cpu Core Voltage > 1.26v
Cpu Core Voltage Offset > 0.01v

Save, exit, and check thermals and voltages again.

Reactions: EmuAL and Rdslw

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Geez, still high Vcore - it came down a little though.
Go back into bios to Cpu Core Voltage, change it to Manual Override, and enter 1.26v. [This is likely a little more than what's needed, but this is just to be safe.]

View: https://imgur.com/bQb8eXH

this is the computer with not a great deal happening on it
It's hitting 80C+ while idling? The cooler can't be mounted correctly.
Take the cooler off - I hope you have some spare thermal paste.
Remove the old paste - alcohol preferred.
Apply a small amount in the middle, unless you're using TG paste, which you'll need to spread over the entire IHS using the little applicator they provide.
Secure the pump head to the motherboard by twisting each screw a little at a time(half turns or whole turns) until they 'stop' you.

Reactions: EmuAL
Apr 5, 2021
hey again, thanks for trying to help.

but on that setting i got BSOD twice so reverted to the previous setting and the computer started fine again.

i've contacted the supplier and requested a return or replacement, i'm not gonna open something that i bought less than a couple months ago.

I appreciate all the time and help you've given me.

thanks again

edit.. after running the cyberpunk game for a few mins which i couldn't do before, the voltage on all cores did stay below 1.4 but all temps are hitting 100c

Last edited:
Preassembled, huh?

This has actually been a thing for some years in Europe and you can get some high quality systems delivered this way, I got a Z97 board, 4690k overlocked to 4.6Ghz with a fat Phanteks cooler, all packed fantastically into an easy to carry cardboard cube that could take quite a bit of shock. And that system was fantastic, stable and cool. So this way of selling a system doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad system , it was great and really easy to fit because you could just grab it by the cooler and bolt it all into the case. Lasted me years.

Your advice to the OP has been spot on though, I'm suspecting a faulty cooler or a required repaste as suggested here.

Be interested to see whether a repaste helps.

Solution
Apr 5, 2021
Hey, Just a message to say i got my RMA returned today and the theory that the cooler was at fault was indeed correct. The manufacturer states that the cooler was seated improperly and has been fixed and now its working as it should. Thanks again for the help i received when i asked my questions. Much appreciated.

Reactions: Phaaze88