Question New Intel build damaged from MC?

Sep 29, 2019
My cousin had just built me a new rig that was working perfectly up until a day or two ago. What seemed to have cause the instability issue was trying to load an incompatible mod into a mod pack for Minecraft. Here is a spec list and average temps, I was hoping someone can assure me the hardware is not damaged :). Went from 500 fps in Counter-strike to 250 VERY choppy fps.

i5 9600k
ASUS 1660ti 6gb OC
ASUS z370 II Prime
GSkill 3000mhz 16gb
Old 630w PSU
Samsung 850 EVO
Coolermaster AIO

Semi-idle temps (HW Info)

CPU: 40 minimum / 61 max / 46 avg
Mobo: 30 min / 30 max / 30 avg
GPU: 38 min / 38 max / 38 avg
Drives: 30-37 max

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019
Its not damaging your hardware, likely just a software big.

I would uninstall the mod and Minecraft, and then if that doesnt work reinstall windows.
There were 160 mods in the mod pack, the game is not and has not been running but my games are still insanely choppy. Since the game isn't running and I've already re-installed Windows multiple times, I'm left with little to no ideas.
The list of things I've tried is:
Re-installing Windows three times
Re-installing GPU drivers
Verifying integrity of games/re-installing them
Updating other drivers on PC

Double check task manager to make sure nothing is over using the CPU. Check Start Up and disable any non essential applications. If you have Corsair iCue installed then that has been known to cause issues. I had to go to an earlier version which sorted some instability issues out.

Just in case set set BIOS 'optimised defaults'

Also there was a Windows Update issue which caused high CPU usage.
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/new-windows-10-build-update-can-cause-high-cpu-activity.html

Oh and just noticed you are on a Z370 for the 9600K...I know it obviously has had the BIOS update but double check to see if there is a new BIOS update....you never know...

Reactions: bryceR
Sep 29, 2019
Double check task manager to make sure nothing is over using the CPU. Check Start Up and disable any non essential applications. If you have Corsair iCue installed then that has been known to cause issues. I had to go to an earlier version which sorted some instability issues out.

Just in case set set BIOS 'optimised defaults'

Also there was a Windows Update issue which caused high CPU usage.
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/new-windows-10-build-update-can-cause-high-cpu-activity.html
The PC was working PERFECT a week ago, I'm experienced in PC building so I can assure you optimizing Windows and my PC to run a little bit better won't give me the 300 lost fps back!

The PC was working PERFECT a week ago, I'm experienced in PC building so I can assure you optimizing Windows and my PC to run a little bit better won't give me my 300 lost fps back!

I can more than understand that but I only bring that up just in case, as I have no idea how experienced you are..... More importantly my suggestions were not for optimisation but to check Task Manager for any rogue programme stealing CPU cycles and going into the BIOS to set the optimised defaults is just to make sure you have a baseline and to rule out any bios issues.

As I now know you are experienced, I will of course make no further suggestions. Hopefully others better than me can jump in and help.

Last edited:
Reactions: bryceR
Sep 29, 2019
I can more than understand that but I only bring that up just in case, as I have no idea how experienced you are..... More importantly my suggestions were not for optimisation but to check Task Manager for any rogue programme stealing CPU cycles and going into the BIOS to set the optimised defaults is just to make sure you have a baseline and to rule out any bios issues.
No problem! I'm super on edge right now so bare with me haha D: I've set the bios to default and I've re-installed Windows to rule out any rogue programs stealing resources. I haven't wiped my 2nd drive, concerned if it could be infected w/ malware possibly.

Edit: Still need help </3

Last edited:
No problem! I'm super on edge right now so bare with me haha D: I've set the bios to default and I've re-installed Windows to rule out any rogue programs stealing resources. I haven't wiped my 2nd drive, concerned if it could be infected w/ malware possibly.

EDIT: Still need help </3

No problems at all as there is nothing worse than a PC issue to drive you nuts...I have been there. It might be worth just running a bare system with just the primary SSD, no second drive to see what performance you are getting. Run some baseline tests like the CPU-z bench to check the CPU is in the ballpark and Heaven benchmark to see whether the GPU is in the ballpark.

Sep 29, 2019
No problems at all as there is nothing worse than a PC issue to drive you nuts...I have been there. It might be worth just running a bare system with just the primary SSD, no second drive to see what performance you are getting. Run some baseline tests like the CPU-z bench to check the CPU is in the ballpark and Heaven benchmark to see whether the GPU is in the ballpark.
I've actually ran benchmarks and everything seemed to work above average or similiar! I might re-install and disconnect the second drive, I'll try some other things first to see. Thanks for the input though, I appreciate the help my brother!

Edit: Still getting 250 choppy fps :( pls halp!!!!!!

Last edited: