News New Intel DG1 Discrete GPU Pops Up: D-Sub Output Meets Low Profile Design

InvalidError

Titan
My last CRT monitor died to bad site wiring (weak neutral) about 10 years ago. I'm kind of surprised D-sub is still a thing today. The closest thing I have had to a D-sub on one of my GPUs in the last ~15 years is DVI-I. At least that lets you choose whether you want analog or digital for your second monitor.

AMD and Intel have omitted any analog support from their graphics cards for a long time now, but to be honest, a VGA port is pretty useful on a GPU of this tier.

someone with a low end GPU might not have a fancy new monitor either

Pollopesca

Reputable
Mar 19, 2021
My pals in retail computer repair jobs can confirm that VGA GPUs/displays still in service are quite plentiful. Think of all the users over age of 40 or just those with budget systems. Many monitors still include VGA to this day to support legacy users. It will be a long time before the little blue port disappears completely.

InvalidError

Titan
someone with a low end GPU might not have a fancy new monitor either
Fancy? Basic 1080p monitors start at $100 and you could get them for ~$80 pre-covid. I'm surprised more monitors haven't axed the VGA port since the analog input circuitry likely adds well over $3 to manufacturing costs over a digital interface. (Thought digital interfaces have the drawback of HDMI and HDCP licensing fees.)

usiname

Prominent
BANNED
Feb 27, 2020
Not much of a competitor when you consider that DG1 cards have no on-board BIOS and will only work on motherboards that have the GPU BIOS baked into the system BIOS. If you want to use a DG1 card, you need to make sure your motherboard BIOS supports it.
Ok, new crippled gt1030 competitor!

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
As a former owner of a CGA monitor, I appreciate the note about D-sub not being exclusive to VGA monitors. I'm about to die of old age incidentally.