Question New Intel DH77KC won't POST or beep, restarts 3 times ?

Dec 4, 2022
Hello, I'm new to the forums and struggling to find the specific answer that'll help my predicament (several close but no working solution) .

My problem is that my new self built computer won't start at all. This is the second computer I built, my first lasted me about 9 years before beginning to fail so I gathered the parts to build an entirely new one and intended to move over my hard drive and SSD.

Without either hard drive installed, with only 1 stick of RAM, PSU, Mobo with CPU and cooler, and both 24 pin and 4 pin power connector. I also have some of the front panel pins plugged in: the HD LED, Power LED, and power switch, and a DisplayPort cable from Mobo to monitor (also powered) , just for the sake of absolute detail.

When I first power it up I get no video signal, green LED on motherboard blinks 3 times then becomes steady, and the computer fans turn on briefly. It will run for about 4 seconds then turn off and back on by itself after 4 seconds, causing the green LED to blink 3 times and steady. It restarts like this three times total, and then stays running the fourth time it is on.

From what I've read here, the 3 restarts should indicate memory problems but I'm using new 1600mhz RAM, which should be compatible. The no POST and total lack of beeps is keeping me completely in the dark.

I'm using:
Mobo: Intel DH77KC
CPU: Intel i7-3770k
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB), 1600MHz
Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct
PSU: Thermaltake smart 700W
Monitor: Viotek GFV22CB

I have also borrowed/ tested with a friend's Apevia prestige 800w PSU and power cords to rule out common power supply issues.

The only thing I can think is if something new is just DOA but I haven't experienced that yet so I don't know what the signs are. I do think some of the components were under 20 degrees Fahrenheit for several days during shipping but I doubt that matters?

I'm off to bed I hope you guys can help me out!

Edited in links.
Edit 2: can I just link the pcpartpicker list?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

New Intel DH77KC won't POST or beep, restarts 3 times
my new self built computer won't start at all
Intel DH77KC

Contrary to what your thread title and thread's initial post states, the board isn't new. The platform is over a decade old at this point of time. To also add, Intel motherboards were very nitpicky of what you could or couldn't work with. Ram was one such problem whereby it would be very choosy on what ram kits would work. Rams with bad quality IC's would be rejected by intel boards most of the time. As for your ram, got a link to it?

PSU: Thermaltake smart 700W
How old is this PSU and what did it power prior to this build? As for the PSU, can you please include a link to the unit?
I have also borrowed/ tested with a friend's Apevia prestige 800w PSU and power cords to rule out common power supply issues.
Again, how old is this PSU and what did it power up until this point? You might also want to source a reliably built PSU and see if that changes your predicament.

Dec 4, 2022
Thank you for your fast reply! You caught me on the new parts phrasing, I meant to imply that the parts were simply not bought used, and not that they were chronologically on the newer side.

Although at this point I'd certainly be willing to upgrade into something else, I'd like to build another long- living gaming pc again, implied by the 10 year old Mobo, I buy more middle of the road parts.

The Apevia 800W is under 9 months used, it was powering my cousin's computer he built earlier this year but I don't have all the specs, he changed needs and moved over to a laptop instead of a desktop and basically sold his old computer parts and had just a few pieces still around. As vague as it is, he had a sort of economic gaming pc. Not crazy new tech, cost like 1700 I think in total, mostly the graphics card.

The Thermaltake 700W is, like my other parts, bought new and has only, allegedly, powered this current computer.

I appreciate the coaching and information, especially the picky Intel. I expected there would be good brands and less reliable brands but I haven't figured out which ones to give my loyalty to.

Thanks again!

Edit/ follow up: having now done some research on Apevia I learned they're very not good and I'm now worried I've fried something else. Going to hunt down something more reputable and test.

Edit/ follow up 2: I bought a corsair rm750 and have the same symptoms. No beeps, 3 restarts, no video, silently runs but does nothing.

Update 3: trying more things and trying to learn. I believe I do have progress. I installed the ram's paired stick (now two 4gb sticks) in the 2nd and 4th slot away from the cpu. Now the computer has stopped restarting on start up, but it still only silently runs with no video output, no POST, no beep. I'm trying to get my hands on 8gb sticks since you made me suspicious and it's another thing to try, even if the 4gb should be compatible.

Last edited: