New intel user oc question

mperna21

Commendable
May 29, 2016
hello everyone!

let me start by saying I don't use forums often so if I placed this question in a wrong area I apologize.

I was fx amd user and I just switched to the 7600k with msi gaming m3 z270 and evga 2x8 3000mhz.

I don't know the voltages well for intel at all so I only have a base. Msi in the bios has a game boost and xmp one click button.

the xmp looks like it changes my memory from 1.2v 2133mhz to ---> 1.35v 3000 MHz

the game boost does a lot of random stuff including the xmp profile but also sets the clock to 4.5ghz at 1.312v

compared to the averages that you fellas may know does that seem high? I'm assuming they are cause these one click oc things usually make everything higher than they need to I'm just wondering how high you guys think it is or if its pretty good.

thank you very much.

tanckattb

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
I'd say that for the RAM speed, it's fine, not too high voltage.

.45 GHz? I'm going to assume you mean 4.5 GHz, in which case that is pretty good. However, I think that you might run into some instability issues, so that's a good place to start. Just go run at 4.5GHz at 1.312v like it set, but run a CPU stress test, to see if it is stable. If it's not, increase it slowly until it doesn't crash

mperna21

Commendable
May 29, 2016
Yeah i didn't stress test cause i didn't know what that voltage is for intel so i figured i ask first. Ill try it out today. Once you have a stable oc for intel can you put they c states and power safe features back on?

mperna21

Commendable
May 29, 2016

one more thing before I forget to. I heard intels northbridge isn't on their motherboards but on their cpus itself. does that mean if I overclock the ram cpu temps could be affected?