Question New Intel z390 Build with 9900k. Hard Freezing at Windows Login

Nighthawk90

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
Dear Forum members, I havent posted here in a while but here is my question

On Friday i finally got my New Z390 Motherboard from Asus (TUF Z390 Plus) , the I9 9900k and 2 sticks of Corsair Dominator 32 GB 3200 mhz Ram. The build went without any complications, I carefully placed the motherboard , put the CPU in , making sure i dont bend any pins on the socket , connected all my stuff and my AIO cooler from Corsair (H115i), Put the ram sticks in etc. Moment of truth, I power up my System, it boots! (wohoo) I get into bios and see that everything is detected properly (CPU, RAM, SSDs) and that CPU and mainboard temperatures are below 30 C. So im thinking perfect nothing could go wrong, time to install a fresh OS (Note im upgrading from X99 5820k system and I still had my old drive connected with previous windows install).
When I boot into my USB Drive (where i created Windows 10 image) after 10 seconds my computer just freezes completely, cant move cursor or press anything. So the only option is hard shut down. I tried to boot into my SSD with Windows (From X99 system) and it does the same thing. Gets to the windows logo with dots spinning and just locks up. I panicked and thought i installed something incorrectly and went through process of eliminating things. I tried my older DDR4 Ram sticks from x99 build (2666mhz) and nothing changed. Tried to boot without gpu , hard drives (only with usb and fresh windows copy) , and only with one ram stick, didnt help either, still freezing. checked for loose connections and could not find any, everything was pretty snug. I then took the motherboard and CPU apart to inspect the pins and could not see any bend ones. Im guessing that my motherboard may have been defective? Are there any chances that my CPU is defective as well ( i dont think so but who knows?) Im worried now. Any suggestions guys? Should I return my mobo and get a new one? Just a side note. I did apply maybe bit much paste on my cpu and thermal paste got on the sides of the dye and just tiny bit on green chip. Could that be the reason? It only freezes in Windows, no problems in bios at all!

Thank you everyone for your input and please pardon my English Im a non native speaker. PS. Meanwhile i have built my X99 system back (till my new motherboard arrives) I just wanna make sure its the motherboard and not the CPU :(

Here are my new PC Specs:

MB- ASUS TUF Z390 Plus
CPU - Intel Core i9 9900k
RAM- Corsair Dominator RGB 32 GB (2x 16 - 3200 Mhz)
GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming x 11 G
PSU - Corsair RM 850i Gold Certified
AIO - Corsair Hydro Series H115i
Samsung Pro 128 GB SSD - system drive
Samsung EVO 1 TB SSD - games
WDC 1 TB HDD for misc. stuff

Older System: currently in use again (works fine)

ASUS Rampage v Extreme x99 LGA 2011-3
Intel Core i7 5820k at 4.3 ghz - 1.24 volts stable
16 GB DDR 4 (4x8) Corsair Dominator Platinum Quad channel Ram (2666mhz)
The GPU from above specs.
Same PSU,HDD SSD etc.

Last edited:

Nighthawk90

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
You need at least BIOS version 2203. If you can get into BIOS then you can see the version number.
Hi Calvin , hmmm . In the Bios it writes that the version is 2012. But can this really be the issue with freezing ? Anyways I gave my Mobo back, and got me the Asus z390 Prime - A. Will attempt to build it today