Question New internal HDD keeps disconnecting (not detected after a few hours) ?

Jun 4, 2022
Hello! I have a new Internal Hard Drive currently installed on my laptop, but the problem is it keeps on disconnecting. Well, more like it just disconnected. My previous hard drive, which was a Seagate Barracuda 1TB, was getting worn out so I had to replace it. I always had a Seagate Barracuda for my Internal Hard Drive, but this time they had no stock so I got a Western Digital Home PC 1TB Internal Hard Drive instead. At first everything went smoothly. I was able to connect the drive without any issues, set it up, reformat it and it was ready to go. Now, after a couple of hours, I suddenly got Fatal Error on my applications, then they crashed, because windows couldn't detect the hard drive anymore, however, the BIOS was able to read it. The next boot on the next day, the internal HDD still wouln't show up. I thought it was faulty so I had it replaced under warranty.

The odd thing is, even with a new replacement drive, the same problem still occurs.
Everything was running smoothly until a couple of hours later (the same amount of hours as the other new drive) it disconnected and I got an error during restart I think it was "The instruction at 0x00000000 referenced memory" or "the required memory error" I can't seem to remember, but the Hard Drive wasn't detected by Windows. However it is there in BIOS and yes, the Internal Hard Drive is completely healthy. Even before having it replaced under warranty, when I brought the new drive that I thought was faulty, I had the guys from the shop check it and everything was running fine and it was healthy. But they were kind to have it replaced anyway.

Please help, it's really frustrating at this point and I've never encountered such error everytime I replaced it with a new Hard Drive. I put back my Seagate and even though it was worn out, it never disconnected. It won't even appear in Computer Management>Disk Management

NOTE: There are cases where it detects it again after a random boot, or when I leave it for a couple of hours and turn the laptop back on. Then it disappears again.

The thing is, even the Intel Driver Support Assistant detects it as well as BIOS, but it doesn't appear on my File Explorer:
(Link to the one I posted in the Microsoft Page where it has images since I can't seem to add my image here): https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ting-not/dd652f60-e9eb-4145-98e2-eb1b193a57d4

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your laptop? An SKU will help us two fold. Can you get into laptop BIOS and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? It's possible that you got access to a bad batch of HDD's, it's happened in the past with me/my client builds. Out of curiosity, are you working with one HDD? If so, did you clone the OS onto the new drive or are you working an SSD that has the OS on it?

Reactions: FomFom
Jun 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your laptop? An SKU will help us two fold. Can you get into laptop BIOS and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? It's possible that you got access to a bad batch of HDD's, it's happened in the past with me/my client builds. Out of curiosity, are you working with one HDD? If so, did you clone the OS onto the new drive or are you working an SSD that has the OS on it?
Hello and thank you for the reply! What is an SKU btw? Sorry I'm not good with the terminologies

The new hard drive as well as the replacement drive were both healthy. At first i thought the first one was defective but the people from the shop double checked it with different tools and the disk was perfectly healthy. For the replacement one that I have now, I checked it with multiple tools, even with the seagate seatools, then also checked if my system had errors, or any viruses, but all was really good. The two drives seem to run for around 3-5 hours then it gets disconnected for some reason. The first one I was in the middle of a game, then crashed because of a "FATAL ERROR" when I checked the file, the drive was gone. The new replacement drive, I was in the middle of browsing the web when I got a notification from INtel Storage "SATA available disk: Removed" Idk what's causing it and why it did that, but this is the first time that I have ever encountered this problem for years. The thing is they seem to come back after I view them in BIOS, but the process keeps repeating. Only BIOS detects it and my hard drives are being disconnected/removed

To answer the other question, I have two Internal Drives, the SSD and the HDD. The OS is inside the SSD. And no, I never cloned the OS onto the new drive

=========================================================================================================================================
Here are the full system information as well as the BIOS version and my laptop model and Manufacturer:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language
Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name BALDOVAH
System Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model TUF GAMING FX504GM_FX80GM
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. FX504GM.313, 23/08/2021
SMBIOS Version 3.1
Embedded Controller Version 1.06
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product FX504GM
BaseBoard Version 1.0
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.1741"
User Name BALDOVAH\Joshua
Time Zone Malay Peninsula Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.86 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.61 GB
Total Virtual Memory 14.4 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.28 GB
Page File Space 6.50 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

=========================================================================================================================================

Please help, I really don't know what to do anymore

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome!

SKU = Stock Keeping Unit, it's a tag/information provided with your laptop and it can be an alphanumeric code that helps identify the specs on your laptop since not all laptops are spec'd the same. FX504GM was your laptop's SKU, whereby the two alphabets denote which a different spec for the laptop.

Go into BIOS and see what your storage controller is set to. If it's RAID, set it to AHCI.

Open up Disk Manager and parse a screenshot of what the partitions(for your SSD) look like without the HDD populating the laptop. Also, might want to try and reinstall all your drivers manually, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. Do remember to backup your data onto a removable drive.

Reactions: FomFom
Jun 4, 2022
Welcome!

SKU = Stock Keeping Unit, it's a tag/information provided with your laptop and it can be an alphanumeric code that helps identify the specs on your laptop since not all laptops are spec'd the same. FX504GM was your laptop's SKU, whereby the two alphabets denote which a different spec for the laptop.

Go into BIOS and see what your storage controller is set to. If it's RAID, set it to AHCI.

Open up Disk Manager and parse a screenshot of what the partitions(for your SSD) look like without the HDD populating the laptop. Also, might want to try and reinstall all your drivers manually, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. Do remember to backup your data onto a removable drive.
hello, do you mean this one? I'm sorry, I restarted my device so the HDD is back. It's only a matter of time before it gets disconencted or removed again by Intel Storage or whatever is removing it

t8qbive2k7991.png

Jun 4, 2022
Please mark this as Solved as the issue was mainly Intel Rapid Storage Technology. After I deleted it, I had no more problems.

Thank you, everyone, for the help!