New internet

gaylo

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Changed my optimum online plan from 15mbps to 50mbps. On speedtest.net it does show the correct speeds but whenever I'm browsing I don't see the difference. It still feels like nothing major improved and sometimes the loading/download speeds are the same as 15mbps. On games such as LoL, the latency was the same where i was expecting to drop significantly due to my new plan. So was this 50mbps plan worth my money or was it utter BS where it is shared between my neighbors?

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
All of these activities also depend on the speeds the other servers can support.
I have been thinking of upgrading myself, but I have this exact dilema! Have you seen any difference in the latency when playing at odd hours? Have you tried downloading stuff to see what kind of speed you can reach?

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
You will have capabilities of more speed, but the same ISP will go through the same DNS and # of hops to the gaming host and i dont know many games that need 15meg service! With the lower plan, theyre throttling your max download speed, now how fast your data packets take to get to a location

gaylo

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

Not so sure about latency during odd hours but it really feels like the same. I say it wasn't worth it getting the new speed but then I can't have the upgraded TV plan if I don't get the upgraded internet. Downloading content sometimes depend on the uploading site if there is a cap or not but those that don't have cap feels the same. Ex. When I was using direct download on C9, I've got around 3.25MB/sec which is almost half the speed. When I tried downloading Combat Arms, I was getting around 4MB/sec. Im pretty sure the new speed would not give any marginal benefits towards Frames Per Sec.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
One question, when you upgradrd your line did the ISP install any new hardware in your home (ie a modem)? What kind of hardware are you using now (modem and router), do they support the new bandwidth?

gaylo

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

Well its not that new but they replaced my modem (forgot which model was the old one) and my router (which I bought). The telephony modem is an ARRIS Model TM822G DOCSIS 3.0 capable of 343 mbps downstream (Theoretical) and 122 mbps upstream (Theoretical). The LAN port (correct me if im wrong) is 10/100/1000 mbps. Since this modem was capable of gaining 300+mbps I tried to attempt to changed the WAN to 300 mpbs but no luck so far as it's locked onto 100 mbps. My guess is that Optimum does it to cap your speed. As for the router, they replaced my WNR3500L with an WNDR3700. The weird part is that my WNR3500L range capability was better than WNDR3700. Though it's a replacement router what can you complain about? My entire cabling is CAT 5E which is good for gigabit Ethernet but pretty much useless to me as the family doesn't use LAN as much. Everything on my end supports gigabit but I've made another post questioning a few points on which got me confused. My other post basically questions what happens if I were to change the WAN to 300mbps if its even possible with this modem? As for the bandwidth, I not really so sure if its supported but most of the hardware they changed seem to be decent to top of the line. The router is decent but the modem is pretty new i guess considering its DOCSIS 3.0.